- "We've bombed our homes and libraries and civic buildings…"
- ―Cerasi, discussing the result of civil war on Melida/Daan
The Melida/Daan Unified Congress Building was a structure built on the planet of Melida/Daan. Constructed during a rare time of peace between the native Melida and Daan tribes, which had been at war with each other for centuries, the building only stood undamaged for three years, after which war was once again declared, and the building was bombed. In 44 BBY, when the Young—a faction composed of children from both tribes—ended the war and took over the government, they chose this building to host their council meetings.
The Melida/Daan Unified Congress Building had been constructed by the year 47 BBY in Zehava, the capital city of the Outer Rim planet Melida/Daan. It served as a government building during a rare break in the ongoing civil war between the planet's native Melida and Daan tribes, when the two warring factions attempted to rule the planet together. Three years later, the peace fell apart, and after war again broke out, the building was bombed.
In 44 BBY, the Young—a faction of both Melida and Daan children—ended the war when they started a new war against the combined Melida and Daan forces. After defeating them, the Young formed a new government and chose the building to host advisory council meetings as a symbol of unity.
When the Young took over the bombed-out building in 44 BBY, the building was heavily damaged. Many of the windows were gone, and a large portion of the roof was missing, leaving the building open to the effects of weather. In addition, there was much debris lying around, ranging in size from pieces small enough to be cleared out by the Young to larger objects such as columns and beams that the Young were unable to move.
During the Young's occupation of the building, it had a large round table, at which the Young advisory council held its meetings.
Behind the scenesEdit
The only in-universe appearance of the Melida/Daan Unified Congress Building is in Jedi Apprentice: The Uncertain Path, written by Jude Watson and published in February 2000. It also received an entry in The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia in 2008. The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia contradicts The Uncertain Path by saying that it "survived three years of fighting," while The Uncertain Path states that the building stood for three years in peacetime before being damaged when the war resumed.
- Jedi Apprentice: The Uncertain Path (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Jedi Apprentice: The Uncertain Path states the Melida/Daan Unified Congress Building had stood intact for three years before being damaged. Since The Essential Reader's Companion dates the events of The Uncertain Path to the year 44 BBY, it can be assumed the building had been constructed by 47 BBY.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 304 ("Melida/Daan Unified Congress Building")
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 Jedi Apprentice: The Uncertain Path
- ↑ Jedi Apprentice: The Defenders of the Dead
- ↑ Melida/Daan system —Based on corresponding data for
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Essential Reader's Companion dates the events of Jedi Apprentice: The Uncertain Path to the year 44 BBY.