- "I'm placing these droids in your care. Treat them well. Clean them up. Have the protocol droid's mind wiped."
- ―Bail Organa, to Captain Antilles
A memory wipe was a method that was used to selectively or completely erase the memory of a droid. After Cad Bane had kidnapped and ransacked the memory of C-3PO and R2-D2 for information on the Senate Building's layout, he only had the incident wiped from their memories to avoid having any suspicion falling on him. Shortly after the Galactic Empire was formed, Bail Organa had C-3PO's memory wiped clean in order for the droid to not spill any confidential information. When he purchased C-3PO and R2-D2, Owen Lars also wanted the droids' memories wiped after he learned they were looking for Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Memory wipes were an important process, and the lack of one could allow droids to develop new ideas. This happened with the mining droid STALKER-1, who turned into a hunter after years without a memory reset.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Evil Plans" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Fugitive" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Uprising (Mentioned only)