- "I'm placing these droids in your care. Treat them well. Clean them up. Have the protocol droid's mind wiped."
- ―Bail Organa, to Captain Antilles
A memory wipe was a method that was used to selectively or completely erase the memory of a droid. After Cad Bane had kidnapped and ransacked the memory of C-3PO and R2-D2 for information on the Senate Building's layout, he only had the incident wiped from their memories to avoid having any suspicion falling on him. Shortly after the Galactic Empire was formed, Bail Organa had C-3PO's memory wiped clean in order for the droid to not spill any confidential information. When he purchased C-3PO and R2-D2, Owen Lars also wanted the droids' memories wiped after he learned they were looking for Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Memory wipes were an important process, and the lack of one could allow droids to develop new ideas. This happened with the mining droid STALKER-1, who turned into a hunter after years without a memory reset. Memory wipes were far from perfect, however, and both C-3PO and the First Order droid O-MR1 both experienced flashes of erased memories. A macro protocol could be used to wipe the memories of multiple droids simultaneously.
The Galactic Empire did not grant its droids any independence and sought to keep them subservient and docile. Part of this process was frequent memory wipes in order to keep them from getting independent notions.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mystery of a Thousand Moons" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Evil Plans" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Fugitive" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (Mentioned only)
- Ahsoka (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Warhead" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Rogue One—Cassian & K-2SO Special
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First mentioned)
- Star Wars 36: Revenge of the Astromech (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Uprising (Mentioned only)
- "High Noon on Jakku"—Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens: Volume I (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Special: C-3PO 1: The Phantom Limb (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron 10: The Gathering Storm, Part III (Mentioned only)
- Join the Resistance (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization (Mentioned only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Rebels: Head to Head
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy