- "He did a microjump."
"Ridiculous, you can't hit the side of the Senate Building with a…"
"I'd say he did a little better than hit the side of the Senate Building. Looks like he's right where he wants to be."
"Terrific. I'm glad he wants to be here."
- ―Jorj Car'das and Dubrak Qennto discussing Force Commander Mitth'raw'nuruodo
A Precision hyperspace jump, also known as a micro-jump, was a tactical jump into hyperspace over a very short distance, often within a single star system. The pilot of a starship would launch into hyperspace and allow a planet's gravity to pull it back out. Some pilots utilized the gravity-well generated by a gravity well projector to drop into an area, such as a battlezone. Anakin Skywalker performed a precision jump to survive the Battle of Praesitlyn. Luke Skywalker used the tactic while battling the Yuuzhan Vong while defending Borleias. The Chiss Force Commander Mitth'raw'nuruodo had perfected performing micro-jumps even without a planet or gravity-well nearby.
The micro-jump was invented by Jedi Masters Saesee Tiin and Plo Koon, who were the first people to implement it, in the Battle of Gwori during the Clone Wars. Saesee Tiin had discovered the tactic before the Battle of Gwori.
The precision hyperspace jump was a way of appearing behind an enemy blockade of a planet. It involved coming out of hyperspace past the enemy blockade, but was risky as it could have resulted in the user colliding with nearby objects. It took considerable piloting skill. During the Battle of Gwori, the pilots had to be careful as the gravity fluctuation could have pulled them into the planet or they could have hit a Separatist cruiser.
Anakin Skywalker used a micro-jump as a way of appearing undetected, close up to an enemy ship at the Battle of Saleucami. Instead of coming out past the blockade, he flew to the Separatist command ship undetected, dropping out of hyperspace close to his target, then slowing to a stop.
Later, in 41 ABY, Marr Idi-Shael; a talented mathematician and a Force-sensitive, used a precision hyperspace jump to bring the Junker close to the Harbinger undetected without the use of a gravity-well.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue"
- Outbound Flight
- Jedi Trial
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Shipyards of Doom (First appearance)
- Rebel Dawn
- Shield of Lies (Mentioned only)
- Tyrant's Test
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide II: Ruin
- The New Jedi Order: Star by Star
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic I: Remnant
- The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
- Legacy of the Force: Betrayal
- Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines
- Legacy of the Force: Exile
- Legacy of the Force: Revelation
- Fate of the Jedi: Omen