The Minister of State was a position in the Old Republic, Rebel Alliance, New Republic and the Galactic Alliance. The Minister of State was a simultaneous Chief Minister and Foreign Minister (though not the head of government) and was head of the Ministry of State and the General Ministry. Most likely the succeeding title to Secretary of the Cabinet. The Minister was appointed by the Chief of State, and answered to the Chief. If the Chief of State was unable to discharge his/her duties, the Minister of State was a possible choice to replace the Chief.
Leia Organa Solo was the first Minister of State, under Mon Mothma. Carlist Rieekan, Q-Varx, and Mokka Falanthas served as Ministers of State under Leia. It appears that Borsk Fey'lya never appointed one under his term, but Releqy A'Kla was Minister of State under Cal Omas during the Yuuzhan Vong War.
Ancient Onderon also had a Minister of State, with similar functions. Novar served as King Ommin's Minister of State, being appointed to the position in 4,013 BBY. Minister of State and Deputy Minister of State were important positions in the Imperial Remnant's government.
Ministers of State
- Leia Organa Solo (9 ABY–11 ABY) under Chief of State Mon Mothma
- Carlist Rieekan (11 ABY–13 ABY) under Chief of State Leia Organa Solo
- Mokka Falanthas (13 ABY–19 ABY) under Chief of State Leia Organa Solo
- Releqy A'Kla (28 ABY - Present) under Chief of State Cal Omas
- Jedi Search (First appearance)
- Dark Apprentice
- Champions of the Force
- The Other (Ambiguously canonical source) (Mentioned only)
- Shield of Lies
- The New Rebellion
- Planet of Twilight
- Ambush at Corellia (Mentioned only)
- Destiny's Way
- Rebel Alliance Sourcebook
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook
- The New Essential Chronology
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide