- "I know your intentions are to save me Mara...but it's far too late now."
- ―Kyle Katarn
- "Try to stay out of trouble, Kyle..."
- ―Mara Jade
Following the Battle of Altyr V, Jedi apprentice and New Republic commander Kyle Katarn went missing while investigating the ancient Sith ruins of the planet Dromund Kaas. Following her successful recapture of a stolen Jedi holocron, fellow Jedi Mara Jade volunteered to search for Katarn on Dromund Kaas. In reality Kyle had succumbed to the influences of the Dark Force Temple on the Sith world and had fallen to the dark side of the Force.
The mission in the TempleEdit
Landing in a jungle clearing close to the Dark Force Temple, and finding all weapons except for her lightsaber rendered unusable, Mara made her way to the Dark Force Temple. First she used the Force to move past the Watchers, fighting her way through deadly local wildlife, before coming across a force-manifested doppelganger of herself. After defeating the apparition, Mara was able to reach temple itself, where she was forced to fend against the mutated Noghri, lightsaber-wielding Sith Jedi Statues, and Vornskrs that guarded the ruins.
Eventually, she came across Kyle Katarn deep in the heart of the Temple, fully immersed in the Dark side, who rejected her offer of rescue and attacked her with Dark force energy and retreated into the catacombs. Pursuing Kyle, and encountering many trials and enemies, including reanimated Sith undead warriors, Mara descended into the ruins and confronted Kyle in the heart of the temple. Rather than engage him in a duel, she deactivated her lightsaber and left herself at Kyle's mercy. Unable to strike down his friend, Kyle found he could not continue down the Dark path and returned to the Light side of the Force, leaving Dromund Kaas with Mara.
Folowing these events, Kyle Katarn realized he could not continue his apprenticeship alone. He eventually accepted Luke Skywalker's tutelage and joined the New Jedi Order. Skywalker decided to keep Dromund Kaas's location a secret to avoid its dark power to corrupt other Jedi.
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Characters, Mara Jade Skywalker entry.
- ↑ Empire's End
- ↑ According to the opening scrawl, Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith takes place five standard years after the events of Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. The New Essential Chronology dates the events of Jedi Knight to 5 ABY. Using simple math, we can deduce that Mysteries of the Sith takes place in 10 ABY.
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 210 ("Dromund Kaas")