- "If something called the dark trooper actually exists, there must be evidence of it somewhere. But the universe is a big place, and there's not much time to look. Fest could be a wild goose chase—but do I have any choice?"
- ―Kyle Katarn
After Katarn captured Moff Rebus, he proved reluctant in his interrogation but mentioned something about 'test results on the planet Fest'. Defected Imperial agent Crix Madine confirmed the existence of a facility on the planet doing metallurgical research. Jan Ors, who led Katarn's campaign, decided that analyzing the samples would help the alliance to trace the origins of the project.
In 0 ABY, the Alliance to Restore the Republic became aware of an Imperial weapons project known as the Dark Trooper Project. As part of the effort to derail the project, Alliance operative Kyle Katarn was dispatched to the Anoat sector where he captured Moff Rebus, the designer of the prototype weapons to be used in the Imperial project. Under interrogation, Rebus revealed testing had occurred on the planet Fest. Located in the Atrivis sector of the Outer Rim Territories, Fest was home to an Imperial Weapons Research Facility; its existence was confirmed for the Rebels by General Crix Madine, an Imperial with Rebel sympathizers. The Alliance decided that any data from the testing facility would be of use in defeating the Dark Troopers.
Rebel operative Jan Ors briefed Kyle Katarn on the mission, although she gave him a large degree of leeway in exactly how to conduct it. The Weapons Facility on Fest was built deep under large rock outcroppings with a strongly defended entrance guarded against frontal assault.
Entering the Weapons FacilityEdit
Katarn was flown to the planet Fest by Ors in the starship, the Moldy Crow and dropped on a narrow ledge overlooking a ravine. Following the ledge, Katarn emerged into a large clearing occupied by several stormtroopers led by an Imperial Navy officer. Eliminating the Imperial force, Katarn followed an upward path that climbed through the cliffs eventually emerging above a large courtyard which contained a large multi-story building and a sizable door set into the cliff face. Katarn dropped down to the courtyard, engaging a unit of stormtroopers on parade, and, avoiding the main entrance, climbed a staircase built into the cliff face. After investigating a small tower at the top of the staircase, Katarn found a hole that enabled him to drop behind the door.
Inside this facility, Katarn neutralized several Imperial staff before activating controls that opened the entrance to main Weapons Facility.
Investigating the FacilityEdit
Among the forces Katarn encountered, there was an Imperial Officer who held a code card. With it, Kyle was able to reach the classified section of the facility where phrik alloys were tested. By controlling a complexly controlled rotating bridge, he managed to gain access to a cylindrical platform where a case with an alloy was.
Kyle was unable to take the same route back to his ship. He traversed the dangerous testing room and reached the proper front entrance of the facility. Gaining access to the gate controls, he returned to the rocky landscape and finally to his ship
Behind the scenesEdit
There is an Easter egg in this mission: The player can find a secret room with a secret door, holding a chained Ewok.
- Star Wars: Dark Forces (First appearance)
- Dark Forces: Official Player's Guide
- Star Wars Encyclopedia (Under Fest)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I ("Fest")
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 Star Wars: Dark Forces
- ↑ "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 6 places the outbreak of the Candorian plague on Dentaal on 36:2:12, which falls in 0 ABY. The Official Star Wars Fact File 130 (MAD2-3, General Crix Madine) tie together the events of Star Wars: Dark Forces and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, and Madine's own recollections in Darksaber as follows: upon learning of the Dark Trooper Project, Madine alerts the Rebel Alliance to the project's existence, thus starting the events of Dark Forces. Shortly afterwards, Madine is ordered to release the Candorian plague on Dentaal, an event which is dated to 36:2:12 per the Adventure Journal. Madine vanishes into the wilderness shortly afterwards, spending a week in the jungles of Dentaal before escaping and fleeing the planet—only to be captured almost immediately by General Rom Mohc and imprisoned on Orinackra. Kyle Katarn then frees Madine from Orinackra, and Madine is then involved in the battle at Corellia. The New Essential Chronology states that only a short amount of time passed between Madine telling the Alliance about the Dark Troopers and his defection. The length of time Madine spends on the run places his capture and imprisonment on Orinackra firmly in the month 36:3, or the first month of 1 ABY. Therefore, the events of Dark Forces prior to the mission to Orinackra fall in 0 ABY, and the remainder of the game and the battle at Corellia both occur in 1 ABY.
- ↑ The Essential Atlas