Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "I'll sweep the outer corridor, while the rest of your ships focus on the center."
"Are you sure you want to go it alone?"
"I'm sure. More than one fighter will just draw too much attention."
- ―Anakin Skywalker and Captain Rex
Jedi General Anakin Skywalker of the Galactic Republic undertook a mission to scout ahead in an area of suspected Confederate space in 22 BBY during the Clone Wars. Skywalker was accompanied by a replacement astromech droid, R3-S6, as his original droid, R2-D2, had been lost previously during the Republic's defense of the planet Bothawui. However, Skywalker was unaware that R3-S6 was a spy working for the Confederate General Grievous. Once the Jedi arrived in the target area in his starfighter, R3-S6 alerted Grievous to Skywalker's presence, and the cyborg general ambushed the Jedi with several Munificent-class frigates. Skywalker engaged Grievous's forces, but the Jedi was able to escape with the aid of his Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, and Clone Captain CT-7567, when they arrived and rescued him with Skywalker's personal ship, the Twilight.
- "Our intelligence has confirmed that Grievous's spies have been intercepting our transmissions."
"He must have some sort of secret listening post out there somewhere."
"That would explain how he's been able to ambush our fleets."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka Tano and Anakin Skywalker
In 22 BBY, the first year of the Clone Wars, the Confederacy of Independent Systems built Skytop Station, a listening post over the Ruusan moon. The station intercepted Galactic Republic transmissions, and the Confederacy began to use the information to ambush Republic forces.
After Jedi General Anakin Skywalker engaged in a successful defense of the strategically important planet of Bothawui, he and his Padawan, Jedi Commander Ahsoka Tano, went with his fleet of three Venator-class Star Destroyers to the Allanteen Six shipyards where the cruisers had been manufactured, believing that the vessels could use modifications.
Eventually, High Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi contacted Skywalker at the shipyards and reported that Republic Intelligence had confirmed the existence of a Confederate listening post that had been intercepting Republic transmissions. Kenobi gave Skywalker the new mission of finding the Confederate listening post. Skywalker elected to undertake the sweeps of outer corridors of space suspected of Confederate activity, while the rest of his forces concentrated on a more central path. Skywalker departed in his Delta-7B starfighter with a hyperspace docking ring, and was accompanied by astromech droid R3-S6, who had replaced R2-D2, Skywalker's original droid, after he had been lost during the Battle of Bothawui. Unbeknownst to the Jedi, R3-S6 was a spy working for the Confederate General Grievous, intent on removing Skywalker as an obstacle.
- "A-ha! There's our Jedi tracking beacon. Skywalker, now you have fallen into my trap!"
- ―General Grievous
Arriving in an area of space suspected of Confederate activity, Skywalker ordered R3-S6 to activate the starfighter's scanners. However, the droid instead activated the fighter's homing beacon, intending to alert Grievous of Skywalker's presence. Back with the fleet, Tano picked up the signal. Alarmed, she ordered Clone Captain CT-7567, nicknamed "Rex," to gather clone troopers to rescue Skywalker with the G9 Rigger-class light freighter Twilight, Skywalker's personal ship. Grievous arrived in the system out of hyperspace with two Munificent-class frigates, which began to attack Skywalker with laser fire.
Skywalker ordered R3-S6 to plot a course out of the system and prep the hyperdrive booster engines, but the droid instead dropped the booster ring, not intending to allow the Jedi to escape. The engines were destroyed by laser fire, and Skywalker, unable to retreat, was forced to engage the frigates. Grievous ordered all of the frigates' Vulture droids to be launched, and the droid fighters targeted missiles at the fleeing Jedi fighter. Ordering R3-S6 to cut his fighter's engines, Skywalker turned around to face his fighter at the droids, aiming laser blasts at the group of approaching missiles. The missiles were destroyed, and Grievous ordered the frigates to move into attack position.
As the Vulture droids approached, Skywalker was able to destroy several of the fighters, but under the cover of incapability, R3-S6 refused to activate the engines or fire the laser guns of Skywalker's fighter. The Twilight soon arrived out of hyperspace with Rex and Tano aboard, and, as the freighter engaged the droids, Skywalker was able to pilot his fighter into the freighter's hangar. The Twilight escaped by maneuvering between the wings of Grievous's frigate and its sister ship, and the droid fighters pursuing the freighter were destroyed. As the Twilight jumped to hyperspace, Grievous took his frustration out on a B1 battle droid, swatting and destroying it.
- "He's still out there. I know it."
- ―Anakin Skywalker, on R2-D2
Even though he had escaped, Skywalker was left frustrated with R3-S6, as the Jedi still longed for the return of his original astromech droid, R2-D2. The Twilight soon received a communication from R2-D2, who was being taken to Skytop Station by Gha Nachkt to be sold to Grievous. Tracking the droid and discovering the Confederate listening post over the Ruusan moon, Skywalker contacted Kenobi and reported the location of the droid. Despite the fact that R2-D2 was aboard the station, Kenobi ordered Skywalker to destroy the base; the droid had fallen into enemy hands, and it would prove fatal to the Republic if Grievous gained the information stored in his databanks. Skywalker and Tano led the clone troopers aboard the Twilight on a mission to destroy the station; however, against Kenobi's wishes, Skywalker decided to rescue R2-D2 as well.
Behind the scenesEdit
The prelude to the mission—namely, the Battle of Bothawui and the search aboard the Vulture's Claw for R2-D2—was mentioned in the December 2008 novel The Clone Wars: Wild Space, written by Karen Miller. However, the novel introduced continuity problems, as it stated that Skywalker and Tano returned to the Alanteen VI shipyards after their search for R2-D2 aboard the Vulture's Claw, while the episode "Downfall of a Droid"—in which both the mission to the Vulture's Claw and Skywalker's sweeps of space were first featured—stated that Skywalker's mission to suspected Confederate space took place directly after the mission to the Vulture's Claw. This article assumes that the novel's interpretation of events is correct.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid" (First appearance)
- The Clone Wars: Downfall of a Droid
- The Clone Wars: Grievous Attacks!
- Star Wars PocketModel TCG – Clone Wars (Card: Head-on Run) (First pictured)
- "Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season One Episode Guide, Part One"—Star Wars Insider 106
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Official Episode Guide: Season 1 (Indirect mention only)
- The Clone Wars: Widevision (Card: Anakin's Master Evasion)
- Star Wars Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Official Episode Guide Series 1 & 2 (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: What Is a Sith Warrior?
- The Official Star Wars Fact File (2013) Part 5 (GOL2, R3-S6 'Goldie')
- The Official Star Wars Fact File (2014) Part 5 (GOL2, R3-S6 'Goldie')
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 The Clone Wars: Wild Space
- ↑ "Republic HoloNet News Core Edition 14:4:14"—Star Wars Insider 67
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duel of the Droids"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5
- ↑ 7.00 7.01 7.02 7.03 7.04 7.05 7.06 7.07 7.08 7.09 7.10 7.11 7.12 7.13 7.14 7.15 7.16 7.17 7.18 7.19 7.20 7.21 7.22 7.23 7.24 7.25 7.26 7.27 7.28 7.29 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "Downfall of a Droid" takes place within the time frame of the events of The Clone Wars: Wild Space, which The Essential Reader's Companion dates to 22 BBY. It can be thus concluded that "Downfall of a Droid" also takes place in 22 BBY.
- ↑ The Clone Wars: Prelude