- "What I really need is a droid that understands the binary language of moisture vaporators."
"Vaporators? Sir, my first job was programming binary loadlifters—very similar to your vaporators in most respects."
- ―Owen Lars and C-3PO
A moisture vaporator was a device used on moisture farms to capture water from a planet's air. They were typically found on desert planets such as Tatooine where water was scarce. Moisture farmers collected water using moisture vaporators for sale or for use in hydroponic gardens. Owen Lars, for example, was a moisture farmer.
Moisture vaporators were relatively tall and slender devices, used to harvest water from a planet's atmosphere. Costing up to 500 credits, moisture vaporators came in various different models, and could reach up to 3.5 meters in height. The devices were stationed at ground level and coaxed moisture from the air by means of refrigerated condensers, or chilling bars, which generated low-energy ionization fields. Captured water was then pumped or gravity-directed into a storage cistern, which adjusted its PH levels. Vaporators were capable of collecting 1.5 litres of water per day, even when the relative humidity of the air was only 1.5 percent. Higher-end models, such as those manufactured by Pretormin Environmental, were equipped with computers, which could adjust the strength of the ionization and refrigeration fields to compensate for changing wind speed and temperature. Patch-in droid units were used for communication with the binary brain unit of moisture vaporators, and could also interface with external droids.
Years into the Galactic Empire's reign, there still existed many moisture farms across Tatooine, such as those of the Great Chott salt flat community. Working for profit and survival, moisture farmers with higher-end moisture vaporators could collect enough water for sale, while those who could not afford them used their water for hydroponic gardening.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Kanan 4: The Last Padawan, Part IV: Catch
- Star Wars 7: From the Journals of Old Ben Kenobi: "The Last of His Breed"
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- Star Wars Rebels – "Fighter Flight"
- "Rebel Bluff"—Star Wars Insider 158
- Star Wars Rebels: The Siege of Lothal
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Bounty Hunt
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 3: Skywalker Strikes, Part III
- Star Wars 4: Skywalker Strikes, Part IV
- Star Wars 5: Skywalker Strikes, Part V
- Darth Vader 7: Shadows and Secrets, Part I
- Doctor Aphra 1: Book I, Part I
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Rogue One
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- Atmospheric water generator on Wikipedia