The Monarch of Naboo was the king or queen ruling over the planet of Naboo. This monarch served as an elected official since a political restructuring circa 150 BBY and held the powers of Head of State, Head of Government and Commander-in-Chief.
From the Galactic Republic's point of view, the monarchy of the Naboo people was their single most important institution, and its origins could be traced back to the earliest days of their society. Around 3,900 BBY, the Republic explorer Kwilaan, discovered the planet Naboo with a fleet of three starships. Groups of Human refugees fleeing a civil war on Grizmallt, led by none other than Kwilaan, settled in the mountains and great grass plains of Naboo. The settlers established various city-states, which were in a constant struggle with each other. Additionnally, the colonists clashed with the amphibious Gungans, who were native to the planet. In that time of conflict, the Grizmalltian—who had become the Naboo—eventually appointed one woman their leader. She accepted the position and title of Queen, but refused to start a hereditary dynasty, decreeing that her people would elect the wisest among them after her death.
Despite the early establishment of a meritocrartic democracy, the Naboo did shift to a dynastic system. King Narmlé was the earliest known monarch of the line that would eventually be known as the line of kings, a hereditary monarchy solidified in history by King Jafan.
Upon ending the Time of Suffering, Jafan established a unified kingdom at Theed and the Great Time of Peace ensued. The Jafan Dynasty would reign in peace for centuries until the death of Queen Yram, when the citizens of Naboo appointed the first non-hereditary monarch.[source?] Henceforth, the monarch of Naboo remained an elected official, maintaining residence at the Royal Palace in Theed during their four-year terms.
List of known rulers of NabooEdit
|c. 2,000 BBY||King Narmlé|
|c. 850 BBY||King Jafan I|
|c. 832–c. 500 BBY||King Jafan III|
|c. 500 BBY||Queen Yram|
|c. 272 BBY||Unidentified Queen|
|c. 150 BBY–121 BBY||Unidentified Queen|
|65–46 BBY||King Tapalo|
|46–33 BBY||King Veruna|
|33–25 BBY||Queen Amidala|
|25–21 BBY||Queen Jamillia|
|21–20 BBY||Queen Neeyutnee|
|20–18 BBY||Queen Apailana|
|18 BBY–||Queen Kylantha|
|c. 0 BBY—||Unidentified Queen|
|c. post-4 ABY—||Unidentified Queen|
Timeline of known rulersEdit
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
- "A Summer's Dream"—Star Wars Tales 5
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode I: Watch Out, Jar Jar!
- LEGO Star Wars: Darth Maul's Mission (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- The Last of the Jedi: Death on Naboo
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Secrets of Naboo
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones: The Illustrated Companion
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- "Who's Who in the Delegation of 2000"—Star Wars Insider 85
- "Q&A"—Star Wars Insider 95
- The Phantom Menace: The Expanded Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
- Star Wars: Darth Maul, Sith Apprentice
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight