- "The ore-dukes are resistant to the tithes. It's what moved my father against you. If they rebel, they'll–"
"Be pacified by a wise monarch and her powerful friends."
- ―Queen Trios and Darth Vader
The Monarch of Shu-Torun was the appointed king or queen of the Kingdom of Shu-Torun, a state composed of a human population on the planet Shu-Torun in the Mid Rim region of the galaxy. Like the nobility's ore-dukes, the monarchy was a hereditary system based on a line of succession with the first-born serving as heir apparent. In matters of government, the monarch was assisted by members of the court such as the chamberlain and the chancellor. By the time of the Galactic Civil War, both titles were held by Jooli, a nobleman who served the King of Shu-Torun and his successor, Queen Trios. According to Shu-Torun tradition, Jooli's position as an aide and advisor gave him the power to veto decisions made by a newly crowned monarch.
During Darth Vader's mission to Shu-Torun, the king plotted to assassinate the Sith Lord as part of a conspiracy to rebel against the rule of the Galactic Empire. The plot ended in failure, resulting in the deaths of the king and his two eldest children, Prince Monthan and Princess Hollian. Princess Trios, king's the third child, was spared and appointed by Vader to rule Shu-Torun as the Empire's figurehead queen. Despite the liquidation of the royal family, Duke Rubix and his supporters initiated a full-scale rebellion against the new monarch due to her renewed allegiance to the Empire.
- Darth Vader Annual 1 (First appearance)
- Darth Vader 16: The Shu-Torun War, Part I
- Darth Vader 17: The Shu-Torun War, Part II
- Darth Vader 18: The Shu-Torun War, Part III
- Darth Vader 19: The Shu-Torun War, Part IV
- Star Wars 40: The Ashes of Jedha, Part III