Spaceport towers on Coruscant allowed docking of large spaceships in the Jedi Temple Precinct during the time of the Galactic Republic. The Venator-class Star Destroyer had a set of large hangar bay door on each side of the vessel, that could dock with mooring towers for resupply purposes.
On the Death Stars, the Galactic Emperor Palpatine utilized modified mooring towers—fitted with extensive shield systems—as his personal command centers when visiting. The tower for the second Death Star was known as the Emperor's Tower.
An exceptionally large and massive mooring tower was the Imperial Freight Complex on Byss. It was here most freighter pilots hauling cargo to the planet ended up, going through extensive checks and resting out in one of the myriad cantinas inside the tower.
Behind the scenesEdit
Ralph McQuarrie paintings of structures on Alderaan from the production of the original film were reused in the prequel Attack of the Clones as mooring towers on Coruscant. The painting itself was reused in The Illustrated Star Wars Universe, depicting transport spires on Alderaan.
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Death Star Designer
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Dark Empire
- Dark Empire II
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections