- "A Force technique, it is. The body functions of targets, it rapidly slows. Most effective for subduing opponents this is. Yet dangerous, too. Constantly monitored, a target must be. Fail to reverse the process should the Jedi, indefinite the unconsciousness can be. Die of dehydration or starvation, can an untended target. Realized this, the ancient Jedi did. Much research into history have I done. Known to use this technique dark side Force-users are not. Not malevolent is Morichro. To master Morichro, less malevolent uses of the Force must a student master first."
Similar to a Force trance, morichro suspended biological functions, including breathing and heart rate. A trained morichro user could turn the technique upon himself, surviving without food, water, or even air for periods of over a year at a time, though it would not protect against vacuum. But unlike a Force trance, it could also be turned on others, making it an effective way of subduing enemies. However, failure to monitor a targeted opponent could render them permanently unconscious or cause them to die of dehydration or starvation.
Despite its deadly potential, morichro was not practiced by those who used the dark side, as it required a mastery of a less malicious use of the Force than most darksiders traditionally employed.
Known morichro usersEdit
Morichro had been known to Jedi since 24,500 BBY. During the First Great Schism, Jedi Master Awdrysta Pina used the technique against Arden Lyn, killing her, until she was resurrected by the power of the Kashi Mer talisman 250 centuries later.
Before long, the Force ability became forgotten to most Jedi, and its mention became scarce, if hardly at all. In the last centuries of the old Jedi Order, however, the Jedi Master Yaddle uncovered the ancient technique after apparently scanning through three holocrons that barely contained any information on the power. While the Jedi High Council allowed her to teach some students on morichro, they ultimately prohibited its use as abuse of the technique could easily prove fatal.
Kyp Durron used morichro when he saved himself from the destruction of the Sun Crusher. After stuffing himself inside a messenger pod as his only means of escape, he was rescued by Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, and Mara Jade. Han thought that Kyp entered into a form of Jedi meditation, but Mara corrected him saying that Kyp survived by slowing his bodily functions to the point of near-stasis.
Behind the scenesEdit
When first introduced in The Emperor's Pawns article, this ability was spelled "Mortichro." Later publications, such as the Power of the Jedi Sourcebook misspelled it, and since they were published widely, "morichro" became the accepted spelling.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Indirect mention only) (Codex entry)
- Sword of the Empire (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi
- Champions of the Force
- Junior Jedi Knights: Lyric's World
- The Emperor's Pawns"—Star Wars Gamer 5 (First mentioned) "
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook
- The New Essential Chronology
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 105 (YAD2, Yaddle)
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- The Essential Guide to Warfare