|Mos Espa Grand Arena|
|Chronological and political information|
The Mos Espa Grand Arena on Tatooine was located just outside the city of Mos Espa on its Northern Dune Sea side. It was the home to one of the most famous Podracing tracks in the Outer Rim Territories.
Once a year hopeful contenders made their way to the enormous stadium to participate in the Boonta Eve Classic, which was hosted by the Hutts to commemorate the Boonta's Eve holiday and was among the most illustrious of all podraces. Other races took place here throughout the season as well, including the Mos Espa Open and the Boonta Training Course.
The arena was open-air and open-ended being built into a natural canyon amphitheater. It consisted of a curving track running between a massive seating structure for more than 100,000 race fans, and an observation platform for race officials built into a rockface. Only a very small portion of the circuit was actually located in the arena with the rest extending for kilometers in a circuit around a broad, flat-topped mountain known as Ben's Mesa. However, the circuit was not without obstacles, such as the Macroon Mesa. Significantly, the start/finish line was located within the arena.
Before being towed out onto the start grid, the pods themselves were housed and maintained in a large hangar located on the arena grounds.
Behind the scenesEdit
In the production of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, Industrial Light & Magic eschewed complicated digital techniques to portray the crowd of hundreds of thousands of spectators. They stuck long wooden sticks tipped with painted cotton swabs randomly into chicken wire on a miniature set of the arena. Action figures were placed on the steps for realism while a fan was used to make the cotton swabs move thus giving the impression of a lively crowd.
- Star Wars: Episode I Racer
- "Urchins"—Star Wars Tales 14
- Podracing Tales
- Episode I Adventures 8: Trouble on Tatooine
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace comic
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace junior novelization
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace video game
- Episode I: Anakin Skywalker (Mentioned only)
- Episode I: Queen Amidala
- Episode I: Qui-Gon Jinn
- "End Game" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Republic: Outlander (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Racer Revenge
- Boba Fett: Hunted
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- "Sand Blasted"—Star Wars Tales 4
- Tatooine Ghost (as Mos Espa Swoop Arena)
- Star Wars: Power of the Jedi
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars Episode I: The Visual Dictionary
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 22 (TAT17-18, Tatooine - Mos Espa Grand Arena)
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Episode I
- Tatooine Grudge Match"—Star Wars Gamer 1 "
- Secrets of Mos Eisley"—Star Wars Gamer 7 "
- The Star Wars Vault
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Sebulba (★★★★)) (Picture only)