- "If you can picture a little garbage masher on four legs and covered with fur and tusks, that's a mott. Ill-tempered and brusque, in contrast to my own sweet nature."
- ―Lareen Dantara
The motts dwelled in underground mudbank borrows. They ate a wide variety of vegetation and were a primary source of food for most swamp predators (even Gungans occasionally killed motts). Fortunately, motts had a high reproduction rate (about fifteen young per birth).
Motts lived in communes of up to fifteen adults. Communes usually consisted of a dominant male and, perhaps, one lieutenant that guarded the females and young.
They were very good swimmers, and young often hitched rides on an adult's back. They also had good hearing and a nose horn for rooting out food. Gungans found motts to be good pets even though motts were known for tearing up flower gardens.
Behind the scenesEdit
The mott can be spotted during the swamp stampede sequence of Episode I, as well as the arrival at the Gungan Sacred Place later in the film. In both cases, the creature is realized as a computer generated creation.
The mott resembles the real world hippopotamus.
|Example of a Mott's growl|
|Problems listening to the file? See media help.|
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (video game)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Gungan Frontier
- (Mentioned only)
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Mentioned only)
- Republic Commando: Triple Zero (Mentioned only)
- Republic Commando: True Colors (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars novel (Mentioned only)
- Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Legacy of the Force: Revelation (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode I toy line
- Episode I Insider's Guide
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia