- "This is the Mulako Corporation Primordial Water Quarry. A long-term periodic comet that comes back every century or so. Right now it's near its closest approach to the sun, and we're at high tourist season."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to Callista Ming
The Mulako Corporation Primordial Water Quarry, also known as Mulako Corporation Quarry, Mulako Corporation comet, MC Quarry, and Mulako quarry, was a comet that orbited its star once every hundred years. For the greater part of this period, the Mulako Corporation mined ice on the comet's surface, extracting pure water from it and selling it to gourmets. When the Mulako Corporation Quarry approached its perihelion and became habitable as a result, the company opened luxurious resorts on the comet for a few months, and tourists visited the warm and humid facilities, with several tourist attractions being available both inside and on the surface.
In the year 12 ABY, Human Jedi Luke Skywalker and Callista Ming visited the Mulako Corporation Quarry in hopes of restoring Ming's lost connection to the Force. The Jedi stayed for a while at one of the resort facilities, where they were discreetly observed by the Hutt Randa Besadii Diori before leaving the comet to continue their efforts elsewhere.
- "Close to perihelion, the comet becomes one of the most exclusive resorts in this sector. The climate heats up, enough of the volatiles evaporate from the ice to form a breathable atmosphere, and people can live inside the snowball. It's very unusual."
- ―Luke Skywalker
The Mulako Corporation Primordial Water Quarry, also known as Mulako Corporation Quarry, MC Quarry, Mulako Corporation comet, and simply as Mulako quarry, was a long-term periodic comet with an irregular shape and low gravity. The comet orbited an average–sized orange star, located in the Trailing Sectors region of the galaxy, once every hundred years.
The comet contained pure water that traced its origin back to the formation of the star system in which it was located. Gas geysers on Mulako Corporation Quarry's tarnished surface expelled volatile gases into space, leading to the formation of a coma and a long tail along the comet's orbit. The coma contained gas particles and ions that could scintillate against the shields of starships, causing static over their comm systems. The cometary ice crust also contained rock inclusions.
When the Mulako quarry neared its closest approach to its sun and became warmer, enough gas evaporated from the ice to form a breathable atmosphere. As a result, the inside of the comet became habitable during these few months. As the water quarry comet came closer still to its perihelion, it became unstable due to increased gas evaporation, eruption of new geysers, and a small possibility of splitting apart due to active mining operations on the comet's surface and interior. When the comet moved away from its star into deep space, it became colder and the gases froze out, forming new layers of ice.
- "I just happened to be visiting the Mulako Corporation Quarry when Skywalker—traveling incognito—showed up in the company of a slender, short-haired human female who seemed to be his paramour."
- ―Randa Besadii Diori
In the year 12 ABY, the Human Jedi Master Luke Skywalker made reservations at one of Mulako quarry's resort facilities for himself and fellow Human Jedi Callista Ming in order to rekindle Ming's lost Force sensitivity. They traveled incognito on an unmarked space yacht from the planet Coruscant to the comet and arrived during the tourist season of the local resorts. At the same time, the Hutt Randa Besadii Diori was also visiting the Mulako quarry and noticed Skywalker and Ming. After Ming made an unsuccessful attempt at telekinesis and a night spent in the resort, the pair left the comet for the planet Dagobah to continue their attempts at reestablishing Ming's connection to the Force.
- "The selling point of this resort is its transience. The Mulako Corporation mines it out each orbit as the comet hooks toward the sun and becomes habitable. They reinstall the facilities, open it to tourists for a few months, then close down again as the comet gets too close to the sun, where it becomes unstable with too much gas evaporating, new geysers erupting, even a small possibility that the iceball will split apart from all the mining and tunneling. Then, when the comet races away from the sun and the gases begin to freeze out, there's another several-month period when the resort is dug out again and reopened. When it finally becomes too cold, the quarry is closed to the public, and the mining company operates for the next hundred years out in deep space, strip-mining the newly deposited layers of ice."
- ―Luke Skywalker
For roughly a period of one hundred years during each of the comet's orbits, the Mulako Corporation used machines to strip-mine water ice on the Mulako quarry—both on the surface and in the interior. The ice was stored and distilled, and the resulting pure water was sold at a high price to important officials and gourmets, with the company advertising the fact that the water had never been recycled through organic life forms.
As the water quarry comet approached its perihelion, however, the Mulako Corporation Primordial Water Quarry became one of the most exclusive resort sites in its galactic sector. The company reinstalled the resort facilities and opened them to tourists for a few months, then closed them down as the comet became unstable due to close proximity to its star. Then, as the comet began to move away from the sun again, the resorts were dug out and re-opened for a few more months. Finally, when it became too cold on the comet, the facilities were closed, and the company returned to ice mining again.
- "According to the brochures, there's plenty of things to do here. We could explore the tunnels, or suit up and go out to the surface. The low gravity makes it fun to jump around. Or we could see one of the erupting gas geysers. Those are supposed to be quite spectacular."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to Callista Ming
The Mulako Corporation had built several resort facilities on the comet, along with various restaurants and lounges. The warm and damp interior of the resorts featured curving corridors; tropical caverns; and spacious suites with fountains, waterfalls, and polymerized frozen walls. The company used rocks found on the comet to create original furniture of various sizes and shapes. The comet's vapors were intentionally turned into a humidifying mist. This allowed for orange and yellow lights to be shined through the omnipresent mists for visual effects, and multicolored glow-lamps were also installed in Skywalker and Ming's suite. The facility that Skywalker and Ming visited used porter droids to carry the luggage of new arrivals.
As an alternative to staying in the resort facilities, tourists could also explore the tunnels created in the mining process, as well as the naturally occurring gas geysers. Visiting starships on the Mulako Corporation Quarry were guided to a cavern–like portal that was surrounded by yellow, purple, red, and black marker lights. The lights were transmitted for the benefit of Mulako Corporation's customers whose eyesight was attuned to various portions of the spectrum.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Mulako Corporation Primordial Water Quarry first appeared in the 1995 novel Darksaber, written by Kevin J. Anderson. The 2012 reference book The Essential Reader's Companion placed the Mulako Corporation comet in grid square N-14. According to the 2009 reference book The Essential Atlas, parts of both the Expansion Region and the Inner Rim regions of the galaxy are located in that grid square; however, sources did not establish which of these regions contained the Mulako quarry.
- Darksaber (First appearance)
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Essential Reader's Companion places the Mulako Corporation Primordial Water Quarry in grid square N-14, which, according to The Essential Atlas, is located in the Trailing Sectors region of the galaxy.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21 2.22 2.23 2.24 Darksaber
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 The Essential Reader's Companion
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 341 ("Mulako Corporation Primordial Water Quarry")
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse