|Multi-kilometer Star Destroyer|
Unknown amount of armaments
- "Thus the technically excellent Delta-7 starfighter will be extinct in ten years, while its miles-long cousins, the Star Destroyers, will continue to fill KDY's bountiful catalogue."
- ―The commercial endurance of these ship designs.
Multi-kilometer Star Destroyers were used by the Republic Navy during the Clone Wars and later, the Imperial Navy. However, their length technically made them Star Battlecruisers under the Anaxes War College System.
Kuat Drive Yards was one ship-manufacturer that created Star Destroyers between 3.2 and 3.8 kilometers in length. Like the smaller Imperial-class, they were fitted with a throne room for the rare event of Emperor Palpatine himself being onboard such a vessel. These ships were in the size range bordering on the Empire's Star Cruisers. Based on the musings of the Dark Jedi Jerec, some of these designs were sword-shaped rather than dagger-shaped, thus preceding his later Super Star Destroyer command ship, the Vengeance, as well as its ship line, the Vengeance-class dreadnought, in design.
Multi-kilometer long Star Destroyers were built as early as the final years of the Galactic Republic, and it was noted that while Kuat's starfighter programs were canceled approximately 7 years after the end of the Clone Wars, their miles-long Star Destroyer designs continued to fill KDY's warship catalogue.
These vessels appeared to see less use in the wartime Republic forces than the smaller designs such as the Victory- and Venator-class, the latter of which formed the backbone of the Republic Navy. Despite this, they were popular enough to continue in production during the reign of the Galactic Empire.
These or similar ships were referenced by Jerec as he traveled to Sulon to subjugate the moon in 1 BBY. He compared his own Imperial I-class Star Destroyer Vengeance to the larger alternatives, and felt it was sufficient for the assault.
According to fake design documents made for the Naval budgetary department, the Super-class Star Destroyer had proportions that would have made it the largest Star Destroyer class produced by the Empire, at 8km in length. During the time surrounding the Battle of Hoth in 3 ABY, the largest Star Destroyer designs serving in the Imperial fleet were about 3.8km long.
In 10 ABY, the Imperial forces aligned with the reborn Galactic Emperor Palpatine amassed a massive armada of Star Destroyers in orbit of his private, Deep Core resort world of Byss. Several sword-shaped ships, which were mass produced versions of Jerec's command ship known as the Vengeance-class dreadnought, were part of this orbital security force.
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe (First Edition)
- Death Star Technical Companion
- Attack of the Clones: Incredible Cross-Sections (First identified as miles-long Star Destroyers)
- Starship Battles Preview 1
- Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Attack of the Clones: Incredible Cross-Sections, p. 11
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Guide to the Star Wars Universe (First Edition), the size of the Executor was described as "five times larger than any Star Destroyer in the Imperial fleet", and length is often used as the dimension that determines ship-size in SW books.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire, p. 12
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Revenge of the Sith: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ Death Star Technical Companion
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations, p. 171
- ↑ Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
- ↑ The Clone Wars: The Visual Guide
- ↑ Imperial Sourcebook, p. 63
- ↑ Starship Battles Preview 1
- ↑ Dark Empire