The Naboo N-1 starfighter, also called the Naboo starfighter, was a single-seat patrol craft developed by the Theed Palace Space Vessel Engineering Corps and used by the Royal Naboo Security Forces for duties such as defense, patrol, and escorting.
The N-1 starfighter was a sleek single-pilot craft used by the Naboo and demonstrated the marriage of art and function present in Naboo technology. Buffed chromium finishes on the craft's forward surfaces glinted in the sun for fly-bys and parades, and represented the royalty of Naboo, complementing the Royal Starship. The N-1's chromium stood in stark contrast to its overall yellow finish.
The craft carried two J-type engines and a Nubian Monarc C-4 hyperdrive engine, and had a single on-board astromech droid which was mounted from the bottom of the craft. It featured an autopilot system and shielding, along with offensive weaponry that consisted of two blaster cannons and proton torpedo launchers. It could attain a maximum speed of 1,100 kph and was eleven meters in length. The ships central rat-tail acted as a power charger collector, and received energy from onboard generators when it was not in use. The ships two outer finials served as heat sinks for the engines.
The N-1 starfighter was originally built by the Naboo, and was most notably used during the Trade Federation invasion of the planet. During the invasion, the pilots of Bravo Flight flew the N-1 during the final assault against the Droid Control Ship the Saak'ak. Young Anakin Skywalker fired his torpedoes into its main reactor, effectively destroying it from within. They later joined in the celebration on the planet below, flying overhead Naboo's capital of Theed.
10 years later, the N-1 was used to escort Senator Padmé Amidala to Coruscant in order to vote on the Military Creation Act. Their Royal Starship held a decoy senator, and Amidala flew in one of the starfighters. They landed without incident, but the bounty hunter Zam Wesell hit the ship shortly after, destroying it and killing the senator's double.
Years later, following the climactic Battle of Endor, N-1 starfighters flew in celebration after the Galactic Empire's second Death Star was destroyed. Shortly thereafter, Imperial agents received posthumous orders from Emperor Palpatine to commence the destruction of Naboo via weather manipulation as part of Operation: Cinder. Rebel leader Leia Organa, ace pilot Shara Bey and Naboo's own Queen Soruna flew the long-abandoned N-1 fighters in the Theed Hangar into space to destroy the Imperial satellites that were causing the extreme weather conditions.
Behind the scenesEdit
The full-size N-1 Starfighter prop used by Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, was on display in Boston's Museum of Science as part of the Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination exhibit in 2005, and remained on display in the museum's Blue Wing for several years afterward, hanging above guest's heads with several large wires. It was ultimately taken down several years later, having accumulated large amounts of dust in the process.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Blue Shadow Virus"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mystery of a Thousand Moons"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Children of the Force"
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (Special Edition)
- Shattered Empire, Part III
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Zander's Joyride"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Test"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens (DLC)
- (First identified as N-1 starfighter)
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- (as "Naboo fighter")
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (Special Edition)
- ↑ Shattered Empire, Part III