- "Did Senator Palpatine arrive with you?"
"He had some lingering business to attend to on Coruscant. But I'm certain that the Naboo delegation will arrive in time for the summit's opening remarks."
- ―Wilhuff Tarkin and Finis Valorum
Naboo Senatorial Delegation was the political body that represented the planet Naboo and the 35 other worlds of the backwater Chommell sector during the last decades of the Galactic Republic. It consisted of a senator and their entourage. One of its historical leaders, Palpatine, went on to become Supreme Chancellor of the Republic. After Palpatine transformed the Republic into a Galactic Empire and annointed himself Emperor, the Naboo Senatorial Delegation stayed in place as part of the Imperial Senate. It was disbanded along with all other delegations when the Emperor decided to shut down the assembly in 0 BBY.
- "The chair recognizes the senator from the sovereign system of Naboo."
- ―Finis Valorum
The Naboo Senatorial Delegation occupied a seat in the Galactic Senate, the highest deliberative and legislative council of the Galactic Republic. It not only represented the provicial planet of Naboo, as its name implied, but all 36 worlds of the backwater Chommell sector. The delegation consisted of a senator and their entourage, which included all manners of aides and advisors. Usually, the current senator was to be succeeded by their preferred aide, but the candidate still had to run for the office and be elected. Also, the Monarch of Naboo had input on the nomination of candidates for the post. It should be noted, however, that the head of the Senatorial Delegation did not necessarily originate from Naboo, and could hail from another planet of the Chommell sector.
On Coruscant, capital of the Republic and purported fountainhead of the Human race, the Delegation occupied the Naboo Embassy, a richly decorated monad located below and to the west of Monument Plaza and the Senate Tower. Like most other politicians, the senators of the Naboo Delegation would assert their sectorial authority through elaborate garments, usually tailored in a typical Nabooian style. In addition to their impeccable garbs, Naboo statesmen also used to wear their hair long by tradition, although not all of them did.
Originally composed exclusively of Humans, the Naboo Senatorial Delegation had long expressed biased views about the Gungans, a species of amphibians native to Naboo. However, xenoethnographers insisted that the Gungans were not "simple-minded barbarians who have barely mastered the basic hallmarks of civilization," as the Delegation asserted. This changed following the Invasion of Naboo in 32 BBY, which led to the formation of an alliance between the Nabooian Humans and the Gungans. Following those events, the Gungan Bombad General Jar Jar Binks became part of the Naboo Senatorial Delegation.
At the beginning of the first century before the Galactic Civil War, a woman was at the head of the Delegation, with a young Vidar Kim serving as her aide. By 54 BBY, Kim himself had risen up in the ranks and become senator, a role he retained until his assassination two years after. From 52 to 32 BBY, the Naboo Senatorial Delegation was led by Palpatine, with Ars Dangor, Sate Pestage, Kinman Doriana acting as his aides. Additionally, the Jedi Knight Jorus C'baoth served as Palpatine's Jedi Advisor. When Palpatine succeeded Finis Valorum as Supreme Chancellor of the Republic in 32 BBY, he was replaced by Janus Greejatus of Chommell Minor, who proved unpopular. After two years of service, Greejatus was traded in favor of the Nabooian Horace Vancil. Six years after his election, Senator Vancil was succeeded by Padmé Amidala, former Queen of Naboo and architect of reconciliation on the planet, with the Gungan Jar Jar Binks as Associate Planetary Representative. Amidala remained at the head of the Naboo Senatorial Delegation until her death in 19 BBY, killed by her husband Anakin Skywalker. Following Amidala's passing and the establishment of the Galactic Empire, Representative Binks took the mantle of senator in the reformed Imperial Senate, and he was himself succeeded by Pooja Naberrie, niece of the late Amidala, in 6 BBY.[source?] With the disbanding of the Senate in 0 BBY, the maintain of the Naboo Senatorial Delegation was no longer be necessary. Pooja Naberrie, however, remained the gray eminence of Naboo politics.
- Republic 64: Bloodlines (Appears in flashback(s))
- Cloak of Deception
- Darth Plagueis
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (junior novelization)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (novel) (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (comics)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (junior novelization)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (novel)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (comics)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (junior novelization)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (novel)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (comics)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- Secrets of Naboo (First identified as Naboo Senatorial Delegation)
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith The Visual Dictionary
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Darth Plagueis
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (novel)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 352 ("Naberrie, Pooja")
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Death Star Technical Companion
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Cloak of Deception
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Secrets of Naboo
- ↑ Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (junior novelization)
- ↑ The Official Star Wars Fact File 61
- ↑ According to his entry on the defunct Databank of StarWars.com, Janus Greejatus hailed from Chommell Minor.
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Neither Vidar Kim or Horace Vancil had long hair.The Official Star Wars Fact File 61
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars Roleplaying Game Revised Core Rulebook
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide