- "My troops are in position to begin searching the swamps for these rumored underwater villages. They will not stay hidden for long."
Darth Maul had come into play during the invasion of Naboo by his master, Darth Sidious. He worked with the Trade Federation and was able to interrogate a Gungan captive to uncover Gungan leader Boss Ganne's stronghold. Using a mind trick on Ganne, Maul was then led to the city of Rellias. The Trade Federation was given intelligence that there were more underwater cities. Although most of the Trade Federation Droid Army could not function underwater, specialized droidekas were produced to back Maul in his raid of the Rellias channel and its adjoining communities including the great Gungan city, Otoh Gunga.
However, the return of Naboo's Queen Padmé Amidala, from outworld duties, stalled the swamp assault. Darth Maul left his position of commander of the raid in order to engage two Jedi protectors of the queen in battle. This allowed just enough time for Otoh Gunga to be warned of the upcoming attack and evacuated.
Instead of Maul, OOM-9 led the assault forces. Small Gungan communities were eradicated but Otoh Gunga was found abandoned. OOM-9 aborted the final objectives of the swamp invasion, leading his forces back to Theed and later to the Grassy Plains.
Because of the events of the attempted attack, Queen Amidala and her forces, Jar-Jar, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Anakin were unable to locate and find the Gungans at Otoh Gunga when they returned from Coruscant to forge an alliance with the Gungans, and thus were slightly delayed before heading for the Gungans' Sacred Place.
Behind the ScenesEdit
The Naboo Swamp Battle was first mentioned in 1999 with the release of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace and its tie-ins. In 2001, the battle appeared as a playable mission in the video game Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds and its 2002 expansion pack, Clone Campaigns during two consecutive Trade Federation missions. In 2012, The short story End Game, recently added to the Phantom Menace novelization, further confirmed its canon appearance as well as adding Darth Maul's thoughts and actions while in command of the Trade Federation forces.
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace novelization (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (Mentioned only)
- End Game
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Databank
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia
- The Essential Reader's Companion