These intelligent, bloodthirsty pack hunters were the only animals from that world to ever be domesticated. Their claws and teeth were diamond-hard, allowing them to dig prey out of formations of basaltic rock. Their barbed tails and saliva contained a venom that marked their prey, allowing them to unswervingly track it for up to a month after contact. Their coloration ranged from dark brown to green.
In the wild, nashtahs often outsmarted or outlasted animals with greater size, speed, or viciousness. The first survey teams to the world were wiped out by Dra III's native life, but eventually a team escaped the world alive with several dead nashtahs, and subsequently the creatures became the most studied lifeform from the world. Some prominent criminals used Dravian hounds as guard animals despite the fact they are as likely to attack their masters as protect them.
The slavers Magg and Zlarb used nashtahs in their slaving operations, including one on Lur. The Tunroth, Shotarr Kass, had a pet nashtah that he called "Klirun". Platt Okeefe had a nashtah-skin throne onboard her ship the Last Chance.
- Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan 3 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Republic 9: Outlander, Part 3 (Mentioned only)
- "Reputation"—Star Wars Insider 136 (Mentioned only)
- Jedi: Aayla Secura (Mentioned only)
- The Clone Wars: Act on Instinct (Mentioned only)
- The Clone Wars: Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy (Mentioned only)
- Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows (Mentioned only)
- Han Solo's Revenge (First appearance)
- Imperial Double-Cross (Mentioned only)
- "The Great Herdship Heist"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 15 (Mentioned only)
- Fair Prey"—Star Wars Gamer 1 "
- "The Capture of Imperial Hazard"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 10 (Mentioned only)
- The Prize Pelt: The Tale of Bossk (Mentioned only)
- "Starter's Tale"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 4 (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Tempest (Mentioned only)
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 11: Criminal Organizations
- Secrets of the Sisar Run
- Alien Anthology
- Galactic Campaign Guide (Mentioned only)
- Secrets of Mos Eisley"—Star Wars Gamer 7 "
- Topside Infiltration"—Star Wars Gamer 8 "
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- Threats of the Galaxy
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- Ultimate Adversaries
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Alliance Intelligence Reports
- Quick Locations