- "Did we beat Meeta Cors' Nautilian out of stardock?"
- ―Gial Ackbar, in an annotation in The Rebel Files in 34 ABY
The Nautilian was an MC80a star cruiser that served in the Alliance Fleet during the Galactic Civil War. It participated in the decisive battle fought at Endor, where it was entirely obliterated by the second Death Star. In 34 ABY, Admiral Gial Ackbar and Admiral U.O. Statura exchanged annotations about the Nautilian in The Rebel Files.
The Nautilian was an MC80a star cruiser produced by Mon Calamari Shipyards. Like the other ships of its class, the Nautilian measured at 1,300 meters and was armed with six tractor beam projectors, twenty-nine turbolaser cannons, and thirty-six ion cannons. It could reach speeds of 975 kilometers per hour using its ten sublight thrusters and ion engines.
It was also equipped with a deflector shield generator, a class 1 hyperdrive, and at least one hangar bay that could house ten squadrons of starfighters. It was crewed by at least 10,000 and had a passenger capacity of over 5,000.
Although, MC80a star cruisers were originally deep-space civilian vessels, they were converted by the Mon Calamari into warships. As a Star Cruiser, the Nautilian served as a capital ship in the naval forces of the Alliance to Restore the Republic.
- "The ship's brittle construction ultimately hampared its rollout, particularly after the Ishanna inversion."
- ―U.O. Statura, in an annotation on The Rebel Files in 34 ABY
During the early rebellion against the Galactic Empire, the Nautilian was under the command of Meeta Cors whilst it was being refitted into combat service in a rebel stardock in the Telaris cometary cloud. A refugee Mon Cala city-ship, the Nautilian was among the first to be completed in their conversion into combat-ready vessels, coming behind Admiral Raddus' MC75 cruiser Profundity, and Admiral Gial Ackbar's MC80a star cruiser Home One, despite the Nautilian's delicate construction being hampered, particularly after the Ishanna inversion, which affected its launch.
Battle of EndorEdit
- "Another rebel ship destroyed!"
- ―Colonel Emarr Ottkreg, reacting to the destruction of the Nautilian
In 4 ABY, during the Galactic Civil War, the Nautilian was among several MC80a star cruisers present at the Battle of Endor, with its goal, along with the other capital ships, to secure a perimeter around the second Death Star while rebel starfighters breached the incomplete superstructure and destroy the reactor. During the battle, the Alliance Fleet was caught in a trap by Emperor Palpatine. As the Alliance Fleet and Imperial Navy engaged each other, an MC80 star cruiser (the Liberty) was destroyed by a blast that originated from the second Death Star, revealing that the battle station, while incomplete, was fully operational.
As Gold Leader General Lando Calrissian spoke with Ackbar on moving the rebel fleet closer to the Imperial Star Destroyers, the Nautilian was destroyed by a second blast from the Death Star. Aboard the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Vigilance, Imperial Security Bureau Colonel Emarr Ottkreg reacted with triumph on the destruction of the Nautilian. Eventually, the Rebel Alliance managed to deactivate the deflector shield generator protecting the space station, allowing for rebel starfighters to destroy the main reactor and ultimately the second Death Star.
In 34 ABY, after The Rebel Files were recovered by the Resistance, Ackbar wrote an annotation on a document on whether Home One, beat Cors' Nautilian, during combat conversion, with Admiral U.O. Statura writing that Ackbar was correct.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Nautilian first appeared, albeit unidentified, in the 1983 film, Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. It was identified in the 2016 canon novel, Aftermath: Life Debt, written by Chuck Wendig.
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- "The Levers of Power"—The Rise of the Empire (Indirect mention only)
- Aftermath: Life Debt (Mentioned only) (First identified as Nautilian)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Tarkin
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ "The Levers of Power"—The Rise of the Empire
- ↑ Since The Rebel Files were buried on the same day as the Battle of Endor, which according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas takes place in 4 ABY, and because Star Wars: The Rebel Files establishes that The Rebel Files were rediscovered 30 years after the battle, it can be determined that The Rebel Files were uncovered in 34 ABY.