Nerfs were a species of furry, non-sentient animals raised for their milk, meat, and hide. They could be found on a variety of planets across the galaxy, from Alderaan to Lothal. Despite their usefulness, nerfs were often regarded as disgusting because of their strong body odor.
Biology and appearanceEdit
Nerfs were quadrupedal creatures with curving horns and coarse, curly brown fur that covered their bodies. They were noted for their strong body odor, which humans regarded as disgusting, and their bleats somewhat resembled the language used by the Aqualish people. Their mouths contained blunt teeth and a long pink tongue. They were herbivores, feeding on growing grass and herbage. Females of the species produced milk.
Nerfs in the galaxyEdit
- "They need these nerfs on Ibaar. They need them for their milk."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to Han Solo
Nerf meat could be used in various food dishes, including nerf steaks, nerf stews, and nerf nuggets. Their milk also had nutritional benefits. Additionally, nerf hides could be utilized to create leather goods. Individuals who herded nerfs for a living were referred to as nerf herders.
The Junior Academy of Applied Sciences on Lothal maintained a herd of nerfs. In the fields where they lived, those animals were often pestered by bloodfly creatures circling around them. The Imperial Academy on Arkanis employed nerfs for the purposes of keeping its lawns trimmed and weeded, but sometimes lost salt-loving young nerfs to the ferocious creatures found in Arkanis's oceans.
At some point during the Galactic Civil War that pitted the Alliance to Restore the Republic against the Galactic Empire, the Alliance heroes Han Solo and Luke Skywalker transported a group of female Nerfs aboard Solo's freighter, the Millennium Falcon. Those creatures were intended for the population of Ibaar, who suffered shortages of food. On the way between Nar Shaddaa and Ibaar, however, the Millennium Falcon was intercepted by a trio of Imperial TIE/LN starfighters. Some time later, shortly before the Empire's assault on the Alliance base on Hoth, Princess Leia Organa once called Han Solo a "scruffy-looking nerf herder" in a bout of frustration.
Behind the scenesEdit
Nerfs were first mentioned in the 1980 movie Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back as part of a lengthy putdown snapped at Han Solo by Princess Leia, culminating in her calling him a "scruffy-looking nerf herder." The Princess' memorable insult was adopted by a music band in the 1990s, Nerf Herder, well known for supplying the theme song to the Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series.
- Catalyst (Mentioned only)
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Steal (Indirect mention only)
- "TK-146275"—Star Wars Insider 166 (Mentioned only)
- Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy (First appearance)
- The Rebellion Begins (Mentioned only)
- Droids in Distress (Mentioned only)
- Servants of the Empire: Rebel in the Ranks (Mentioned only)
- Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novel (Mentioned only)
- Heir to the Jedi
- Star Wars Battlefront (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Commander (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 17: Rebel Jail, Part II (First pictured)
- Star Wars 18: Rebel Jail, Part III
- Star Wars 19: Rebel Jail, Part IV (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First mentioned)
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- Aftermath (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Life Debt (Mentioned only)
- "The Perfect Weapon" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Star Wars 17: Rebel Jail, Part II
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "TK-146275"—Star Wars Insider 166
- ↑ Droids in Distress (book)
- ↑ Heir to the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back