It was a powerful explosive substance. It was used in proton torpedo warheads, and also in a variety of demolition charges. The mineral was mined and was highly unstable in its raw form. Significant physical or energy interaction with the raw mineral would detonate it. Refining added some stability, at minor cost to explosive performance. While not as powerful as baradium, used in thermal detonators, Nergon-14 was more stable and therefore better suited to massive shipboard armament requirements. When inert, its color was blue, then changing to red and white before exploding.
The mineral was known to be mined extensively on Christophsis.
Some years before the Galactic Civil War, a bounty hunter known as Kleb Zellock acquired quantities of Nergon-14 for the Empire on Tyne's Horky. Members of the Palpatine Counter-Insurgency Front used Nergon-14 explosives during their terrorist activities shortly after Coruscant fell to the New Republic.
While training undercover at the Jedi Praxeum on Yavin 4, Corran Horn ordered twelve Nergon-14 charges from Captain Tycho Celchu. Corran intended to destroy a temple of the long dead Sith Lord Exar Kun by placing the charges at key structural points. However, Kun's vengeful and still very powerful spirit melted the charges in defiance of Corran's attempts.
- Star Wars: Droids—"The Lost Prince" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Droids—"Tail of the Roon Comets"
- "Nerf Herder"—Star Wars Tales 7 (Mentioned only)
- "The Great Herdship Heist"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 15
- Fair Prey"—Star Wars Gamer 1 "
- X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble (Mentioned only)
- X-Wing: The Krytos Trap
- I, Jedi
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas