- "An old friend, from the Netherworld of the Force..."
The Netherworld of the Force was the place the souls of Force-sensitives apparently went after their physical bodies died. Qui-Gon Jinn went to this realm after dying, but managed to return from it back to the physical universe as a Force ghost. Anakin Skywalker learned this from Obi-Wan Kenobi after he died upon the Second Death Star. Obi-Wan's spirit departed to this realm after having one final talk with Luke Skywalker in 9 ABY. Yoda was also seen in this realm, where he reunited the recently deceased Vila with her brother Denin and promised he would train both of them. However, most Jedi including Yoda and Qui-Gon Jinn, believed that people who died and were not able to become Force ghosts lost their consciousness and individual identities and "became one with the Force." [source?]
The Sith Lord Darth Plagueis didn't believe in the Netherworld of the Force as a supernatural phenomenon. He thought this so-called realm was in fact the reaction of a mind "dissipating into the hum of background energy" and accepting its fate. This feeling of peace would only be a normal consequence of the death. Plagueis also thought only the weak would tolerate the loss of their identity.
- The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Mentioned only)
- One Last Night in the Mos Eisley Cantina: The Tale of the Wolfman and the Lamproid
- Star Wars 92: The Dream (First appearance)
- The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader
- Heir to the Empire
- Evil Never Dies: The Sith Dynasties
- The Art and Making of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side