- "The prologue to the New Republic charter exhorts all member worlds to behave toward one another in an acceptable and civilized manner."
- ―Ponc Gavrisom
The New Republic Common Charter was the supreme law of the New Republic that laid out its processes and political mechanisms. Its articles outlined the tenets and operational structure of the government in general, statutory terms. The Charter was created by the Provisional Council to create a more unified and defined government in place of the transitional government established by the Declaration of a New Republic. It took effect in 7 ABY on Restoration Day. The Charter was based on, although somewhat different, the Old Republic's Galactic Constitution. When the New Republic was reorganized into the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances, the New Republic Common Charter underwent several major changes into Galactic Alliance Common Charter. This new constitution, with increased checks and balances and a new federal structure, strove to correct many of the flaws of the previous government.
While the Declaration set forth the basic principles and tenets of the republic, members were confederated under the Charter. Applicant worlds were required to review and agree to abide by the Charter and its related statutes. Articles within the Charter described the method by which planets become members, the three types of membership, the rights and responsibilities of members, and the bodies of government and their respective powers.
- Article 5 provides the Chief of State the right to declare war against a "known enemy".
- Article 11 proclaims a principle of free navigation.
- Article 19 describes what planets may fall under the control of the New Republic, expressly forbids the assertion of power over any planet without a native population and allows any beings to settle such a planet without political affiliation.
- The Chief of State's role was formally expanded to make the holder of its office simultaneously President of the Senate and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. This was likely located in Article 5 as well.
- Before the Storm (First mentioned)
- Tyrant's Test (First appearance)
- Specter of the Past
- Young Jedi Knights: Delusions of Grandeur (Mentioned only)
- Young Jedi Knights: Return to Ord Mantell (Mentioned only)