The New Republic military also known as the Republic military consisted of the armed forces charged with the defense of the New Republic, the government formed by the Rebel Alliance following their victory at the Battle of Endor. It was composed of the land-based New Republic army, the naval New Republic Starfleet, and the special operations New Republic Special Forces.
The New Republic military saw substantial action against the remnants of the Galactic Empire during the last stages of the Galactic Civil War. New Republic military forces took part in the rebellion on Akiva, the liberation of Kashyyyk, and the Battle of Jakku. Despite the Imperial defeat on Jakku, elements of the military particularly the Starfleet were ordered to remain on high alert for Imperial activity.
While the New Republic military had sufficient resources to defend the galaxy about six years before the destruction of the Hosnian system, some Centrists like Senator Erudo Ro-Kiintor of Hevurion lobbied for the government to divert more funding into individual planetary defenses. In reality, this was a pretext for channeling government funding into Centrist worlds. The military of the Republic fell under the command of the Republic Command, a body of individuals that led the armed forces of the Republic. During the early conflict between the First Order and the Resistance, the military forces of the Republic were ordered to not fire on the First Order due to the Galactic Senate desperately wanting to avoid another galactic war.
- Aftermath (First appearance, simultaneous with Lost Stars)
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- "Blade Squadron: Kuat"—Star Wars Insider 168
- Lost Stars (First appearance, simultaneous with Aftermath)
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- "Blade Squadron: Jakku"—Star Wars Insider 172
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Bloodline (First identified as New Republic military)
- Before the Awakening (First identified as Republic military)
- Poe and the Missing Ship
- Poe Dameron 8: The Gathering Storm, Part I (Appears in flashback(s))
- Join the Resistance (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel