- "Word is that Admirals Veltraa and Sommos are reforming for a last stand to protect Taris, but it's not looking good."
- ―Dallan Morvis
Noma Sommos was a female admiral in the Republic Navy who served in the Outer Rim during the Mandalorian Wars. In 3964 BBY, Sommos was present on the front lines of the Galactic Republic's war with the Mandalorian warrior clans when the Mandalorians began a massive offensive aimed at taking the valuable world of Taris. Sommos and Admiral Jimas Veltraa reformed what was left of the Outer Rim fleets into a force meant to protect Taris, but the Mandalorians were still able to overcome them and besiege the world. Although Sommos survived the fighting, she was gravely wounded and sent to recover at a field hospital on the planet Wayland, later filing a formal complaint about the presence of fringers in Republic naval groups.
- "Admiral Noma Sommos, inactive since her injuries following the collapse of the line on the Outer Rim, filed an official complaint from her field hospital on Wayland over the growing presence of fringers, or freelance tradespeople, in naval groups."
- ―An article in The Admiral's List
Noma Sommos was an admiral in the Republic Navy who served in the era following the Great Sith War. After becoming an admiral, Sommos and her staff employed a young Naval Academy graduate named Dallan Morvis as a junior liaison with a Vanjervalis Systems design team. Although the epic battles with the Sith had long past by 3964 BBY, the Galactic Republic faced a new threat at the edge of its borders—the Mandalorian warrior clans, which had carved out a sizable empire of their own before encroaching upon Republic space. As the Mandalorians threatened resource worlds near the valuable ecumenopolis of Taris, the Republic Navy set up a defensive cordon known as the Jebble-Vanquo-Tarnith line. Sommos was serving along this border by the time the Mandalorians finally began their advance, attacking the planet Vanquo in a diversionary tactic to open up a path to Taris.
The line soon collapsed—Sommos and Admiral Jimas Veltraa responded by reforming what was left of the Outer Rim fleets into a makeshift force meant to protect Taris. Veltraa was killed in the Mandalorian siege, while Sommos was wounded and sent to recover in a hospital on the planet Wayland. Sommos was inactive for some time following her injury over Taris and, while at her field hospital on Wayland, filed an official complaint over the growing presence of freelance tradespeople, or "fringers," in Republic naval groups. Sommos complained that irregular and unaffiliated units provided logistical complications and provisioning problems, while their protection was inconsistent with the combat and spacelift duties of the Republic Navy—Republic defense official Catronus Steffans, responding to the issue, was noncommittal on a course of action.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "The combat and spacelift duties of the navy are inconsistent with providing protection for irregular and unaffiliated units."
- ―Noma Sommos
Noma Sommos was known for her opposition to freelance fringer groups among the Republic Navy, going so far as to file an official complaint as she recovered following her injuries over Taris, citing logistical problems caused by their presence.
Behind the scenesEdit
Admiral Sommos was first mentioned in Knights of the Old Republic 8: Flashpoint, Part 2, a comic written by John Jackson Miller and released in 2006. The Admiral's List: Jimas Veltraa Memorial Edition, an in-universe news report appearing on the last page of Knights of the Old Republic 13: Days of Fear, Part 1, first provided the character's first name as "Noma." Sommos was also mentioned in Miller's Knights of the Old Republic Handbook, along with an entry in The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia.
- Knights of the Old Republic 8: Flashpoint, Part 2 (First mentioned)
- "The Admiral's List: Jimas Veltraa Memorial Edition" — Knights of the Old Republic 13: Days of Fear, Part 1 (First identified as Noma)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "The Admiral's List: Jimas Veltraa Memorial Edition" — Knights of the Old Republic 13: Days of Fear, Part 1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Knights of the Old Republic 8: Flashpoint, Part 2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Handbook
- ↑ The Essential Atlas
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 179 ("Sommos, Noma")