- "Excellent. You found some nova crystals. These are a valuable commodity that is used as currency throughout the galaxy."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn
Nova crystals were a valuable commodity. Raw crystals freed from their rocky matrix were unstable (sensitive to jostling and heat) and highly explosive, and for further use they had to be bound to inert trace elements in refineries. The crystals themselves were bright green and easily crafted into gemstones for jewelry and decoration. Nova crystals were used as a makeshift currency in the Outer Rim and other places where Galactic Credit Standards were not accepted. Also, while still relatively volatile, they could be used as ammo or weapon components.
Behind the scenesEdit
Nova crystals feature as a mineable resource in the 2001 video game Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. In the game, they are found on virtually every world, and are used to research advanced technologies and pay for troops and vehicles.
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- Pirates & Privateers (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- Twin Stars of Kira (First appearance)
- Han Solo at Stars' End (First mentioned)
- "Sore Loser"—Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters
- Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side