- "Excellent. You found some nova crystals. These are a valuable commodity that is used as currency throughout the galaxy."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn
Nova crystals were a valuable commodity throughout the galaxy. The planet Mygeeto held immense deposits of nova crystals, which contributed to its great mineral wealth, and the crystals were also the primary industry of the planet Cotellier.
Raw crystals freed from their rocky matrix were unstable (sensitive to jostling and heat) and highly explosive. For further use, they had to be bound to inert trace elements in refineries. During various periods of galactic history, Nova processing centers were developed to mine, process, and refine nova crystals.
The crystals themselves were bright green and easily crafted.
Nova crystals were considered a commodity and could be crafted into gemstones for jewelry and decoration. As such, they were used as a makeshift currency in the Outer Rim and other places where Galactic Credit Standards were not accepted. Also, while still relatively volatile, they could be used as ammo or weapon components.
Behind the scenesEdit
Nova crystals feature as a mineable resource in the 2001 video game Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. In the game, they are found on virtually every world, and are used to research advanced technologies and pay for troops and vehicles.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- Twin Stars of Kira (First appearance)
- Han Solo at Stars' End (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
- "The History of R-Series Astromech Droids"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 7
- Pirates & Privateers (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side