Nuclear bombs were powerful explosives capable of ruining neighborhoods or cities and left residual radiation after their detonation.
The destruction capable by these weapons varied, but almost any nuclear missile could level a city. Most had a blast radius of 30 kilometers, and could deal heavy radiation damage up to a 100 kilometer radius.
- "This…is a new phase of the war. We're going to have to change the way we look at things."
- ―Karath on the Mandalorian's devastation of Serroco
In 3963 BBY, after Mandalorian Neo-Crusaders invaded Galactic Republic space and initiated the Mandalorian Wars, the Mandalorians procured a supply of nuclear missiles. On the eve of the Battle of Serroco, several Force-sensitives across the galaxy experienced visions of a Mandalorian bombardment that would devastate the planet of Serroco's surface. A former Padawan, Zayne Carrick, who was actually on that world when he saw this stowed away aboard a Republic ship and announced that he was a Jedi so he would be taken to their flagship, the Courageous. However, upon discovering that Carrick had been accused of perpetrating the Padawan Massacre of Taris the commander of the Republic fleet, Saul Karath became convinced that he was misleading them on behalf of the Mandalorians.
They were also used during the Battle of Jebble by Cassus Fett to completely wipe out the Rakghoul plague that had spread to many of the Mandalorians there. This led to a sudden and severe melting of the ice that covered the planet.
An Imperial nuclear warhead was captured by the Rebel Alliance from the freighter Gafra during Operation Strike Fear. The warhead was then smuggled onto the Star Destroyer Invincible, destroying it from the inside.
Leia Organa believed the planet Shiva IV to have been the setting for a devastating war in which nuclear bombs had been used. Imperial General Bentilais san Sk'ar later tried to bombard the planet with anti-matter bombs, but was stopped by the Rebel Alliance.
- The Star Wars: Rough Draft (Non-canonical appearance)
- Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 1: Edge of the Whirlwind (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 15: Days of Fear, Part 3
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 28: Vector, Part 4
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 37: Prophet Motive, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (Mentioned only)
- Darth Plagueis (as nuclear weapons)
- Maul: Lockdown
- Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka (Mentioned only) (as Thermonuclear weapons)
- Star Wars: X-Wing
- Star Wars 53: The Last Gift From Alderaan! (First mentioned)
- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime
- The Star Wars Sourcebook (as "nuclear")
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters (As "atomic missile")
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume One (As "atomic weapon")
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume Two (As "atomic missile")
- The Star Wars Planets Collection
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition (as nuclear warhead)
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (as thermonuclear bomb)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Limited Collector's Edition (as atom bomb)
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
Notes and referencesEdit
- Nuclear weapon on Wikipedia