The Onderon rebels, also referred to as the Onderon resistance, was a group of resistance fighters who stood opposed to the reign of King Sanjay Rash and the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. The rebels, with the unofficial backing of the Jedi Order, waged a successful campaign to reclaim Onderon from the Separatists and restore the deposed former King, Ramsis Dendup, to the throne of Onderon. Though unsuccessful in their initial campaigns, the support of the Jedi provided them additional training and resources, including the active participation of Padawan Ahsoka Tano and the assistance of the pirate Hondo Ohnaka. Another resource utilized by the rebels were freighters, which they used to transport soldiers to battle. At the end of the rebellion, Onderon rejoined the Galactic Republic, with rebel fighter Lux Bonteri as the planet's Senator.
When the Clone Wars began, Onderon's king, Ramsis Dendup attempted to keep Onderon neutral by refusing to join the Republic and the Confederacy. However, he was then removed from the throne, imprisoned and then replaced with pro-Confederate Sanjay Rash. Rash allowed the Confederacy to send in the Separatist Droid Army to occupy the planet and its capital city of Iziz.
However, members of the population, such as Steela Gerrera and her brother Saw, refused to recognize Rash's rule. The Gerrera's thus organized a resistance movement that fought the battle droids in and near Iziz. With their members, the Gerraras fought the battle droids. However, by 20 BBY, the resistance fighters planed to end the Separatists' occupation. To that end, Saw and former Separatist senator, Lux Bonteri contacted the Jedi Council for help. At first, the Council was wary about providing aid the the rebels. However, the Council approved of Masters Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and his apprentice Ahsoka Tano to train the Rebels in fighting the droids.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Before the Empire takes over, we already had these little groups out there… and they need a way to come together. And that's really where your Bail Organa's and your Mon Mothma's come in. They’re the way that you can galvanize these rebels, and you get a Rebel Alliance."
- ―Dave Filoni, on how the Onderon rebels help set the stage for the Rebel Alliance
The Onderon rebels were created for a four-episode arc in the fifth season of the animated television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The intention of the Onderon rebels was to show one of the seeds of what would become the Alliance to Restore the Republic. According to Dave Filoni, the supervising director of The Clone Wars, stated that he and George Lucas intended the Onderon rebels to be the first of many militias that were created by the Jedi during the Clone Wars, militias that would be brought together by characters such as Bail Organa and Mon Mothma to become the Rebel Alliance.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Front Runners"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Soft War"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Tipping Points"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gathering" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Ahsoka (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Ghosts of Geonosis" (Appears in hologram)
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad (Mentioned only)
- (First identified as Onderon rebels)
- (First identified as Onderon resistance)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Rebels: Visual Guide: Epic Battles
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Tipping Points"
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Front Runners"
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas