- "He's blind as an Orkellian cave slug."
- ―Bane, on Skere Kaan
Orkellian cave slugs, also known as Orkellian space slugs, were blind creatures native to a location in the Orkellia system, a star system in the Mid Rim region of the galaxy. In 1000 BBY, the newly-proclaimed Dark Lord of the Sith Bane compared his fellow Dark Lord Skere Kaan's ignorance about the potential of the dark side of the Force to the blindness of an Orkellian cave slug. A millennium later, that same disability of the slug was compared by the smuggler Han Solo to waiting in his starship, the Millennium Falcon, while the ship's sensor array was under repair.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Orkellian cave slug was first mentioned in Drew Karpyshyn's novel Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, published on September 26, 2006. The creature was mentioned again in the second issue of the Star Wars series of comic books that was published by Dark Horse Comics on February 13, 2013. The issue was written by Brian Wood.
- Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (First mentioned)
- Star Wars 2: In the Shadow of Yavin, Part Two (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Essential Atlas, p. 237
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion on the Jedi Council Forums (Literature board; posted by jasonfry on December 11, 2007, 7:59am; accessed March 6, 2016) "I wouldn't get your hopes up re alien homeworlds, beyond simple stuff like the Planetnamian species getting a Planetnamia on the map or things Dan and I can account for with a relatively quick reference." (screenshot). Jason Fry, co-author of The Essential Atlas, stated his intention to create homeworlds for numerous species based on context implied from their names. This article treats the Orkellia system as the location of one such homeworld with regard to the Orkellian cave slug.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, Chapter 20
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars 2: In the Shadow of Yavin, Part Two
- ↑ In Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, Bane accuses Skere Kaan of ignorance shortly before traveling to the planet Lehon. Page 92 of The Essential Atlas dates Bane's journey to Lehon to 1000 BBY.