- "Oh, great. We finally got an ID code from this guy. Believe me, he's the last one I wanted to run into."
"Who is it?"
"Osss-10. Now I'm sure you're bad luck."
"Never heard of him."
"You wouldn't have. That's because you're an old story, and he's the latest thing."
- ―N'dru Suhlak and Boba Fett
Osss-10 was a male bounty hunter who was active during the Galactic Civil War, in the aftermath of the breakup of the Bounty Hunters' Guild in 0 BBY. Osss-10 equipped himself with specialized equipment to predict the movements of his adversaries and he had a number of encounters with the hunt saboteur N'dru Suhlak, with Osss-10 coming out on top each time.
In 4 ABY, Osss-10 responded to a call from Kuat of Kuat, the leader of the shipyard Kuat Drive Yards, to neutralize the renowned bounty hunter Boba Fett. Osss-10 tracked Fett to the Tatoo system, where Fett was en-route to the planet Tatooine aboard N'dru Suhlak's Z-95 Headhunter, and attempted to apprehend Fett. However, Fett outsmarted Osss-10 by piloting Suhlak's Headhunter towards Osss-10's vessel at full speed, which forced Osss-10 to break away and allowed Fett and Suhlak to successfully make it to Tatooine.
- "Don't you get it? This is all because of what you did when you broke up the old Bounty Hunters Guild. The old rule book's been thrown out, and there's enough chaos in the bounty-hunting environment for totally new ones to start up. New—and better."
- ―N'dru Suhlak to Boba Fett, on Osss-10's ascent into the bounty hunting profession
Osss-10 was a male individual who became a bounty hunter during the time of the Galactic Civil War. Osss-10 entered the bounty hunting profession in wake of the breakup in 0 ABY of the Bounty Hunters' Guild, an ancient institution that had previously regulated the bounty hunting trade, and was one of a new breed of independent bounty hunters who became active in the aftermath of the Guild's collapse. Osss-10 equipped himself with state-of-the-art equipment, including a starship fitted with advanced technology to predict the actions of his adversaries, which led the hunt saboteur N'dru Suhlak to suspect that Osss-10 was being funded a wealthy backer. By 4 ABY, Osss-10 had had a number of encounters with Suhlak, in which Osss-10 demonstrated his prowess as a bounty hunter and came out on top on each occasion.
Around the time of the Battle of Endor, Kuat of Kuat, the leader of the renowned shipyard Kuat Drive Yards, sent out word that he wanted the bounty hunter Boba Fett intercepted and preferably killed. Kuat sought to have Fett eliminated as Fett had gained information about a plot by Kuat to frame Prince Xizor of the underworld organization Black Sun for responsibility for the deaths of the aunt and uncle of the Jedi Luke Skywalker. Many bounty hunters began searching for Fett and Osss-10 was among those who joined the hunt.
Fett set out for the planet Tatooine on a mission to recover a spy droid that contained evidence of Kuat's effort to frame Xizor. In an attempt to arrive on the desert world unhindered by the bounty hunters searching for him, Fett hired N'dru Suhlak to transport him to Tatooine. Fett and Suhlak arrived in the Tatoo system aboard Suhlak's modified Z-95 Headhunter and set a course for Tatooine. Osss-10 detected the Headhunter using his starship's advanced detection capabilities and scanned Suhlak's ship from a distance, seeking to obtain enough data on its movements to enable him to predict the Headhunter's path and speed.
Osss-10 then moved in to attack the Headhunter and opening fire on it, with his shot's striking Suhlak's ship's exterior hull. Suhlak veered his Headhunter off on a different course to evade the bounty hunter, however Osss-10 foresaw Suhlak's move and maneuvered his ship to incept the Headhunter. With a ruse that Osss-10 had not predicted, Fett took to the controls of Suhlak's vessel and flew toward Osss-10's ship at full speed. Forced to veer off-course in order to evade a collision, Osss-10 flew his ship at full thrust toward the Headhunter, firing at it with his laser cannon as he passed it and zoomed out of range of the Headhunter. Having outsmarted Osss-10, Fett and Suhlak then safely landed on Tatooine, where Fett successfully recovered the spy droid that he sought.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "So much for your new breed of bounty hunter. He might be able to predict what you're going to do—but he can't predict what I'm going to do. Nobody can."
- ―Boba Fett to N'dru Suhlak, on Osss-10
Osss-10 was a skilled bounty hunter who specialized in defeating his opponents by predicting their moves and outsmarting them. N'dru Suhlak considered Osss-10 to be a better bounty hunter than most of the hunters of the defunct Bounty Hunters' Guild. Osss-10 also had a talent for computer programming which he used to program the onboard computers on his starship.
During his encounter with Boba Fett and N'dru Suhlak in the Tatoo system, Osss-10 was confident that he could predict Suhlak's course of action and that the pair could not escape him. However, he failed to predict Fett's actions and was therefore unsuccessful at defeating them.
- "Somebody with a lot of credits must be bankrolling him: he's got all the state-of-the-art equipment, plus he's a real genius at programming his onboard computers. He's got some kind of predictive algorithms wired into his gear that I've never encountered before. The more confrontations you have with him, the bigger operational database he has to extrapolate from about what your next moves are going to be—just like he did right now. If he gets much smarter, next he's going to be able to know what I'm going to do before I know!"
- ―N'dru Suhlak, on Osss-10
Osss-10 possessed state-of-the-art equipment and a customized starship fitted with computers programmed with predictive algorithms, which the bounty hunter used to predict the courses of action of his adversaries. The algorithms drew upon an operational database recording the results of Osss-10's confrontations with his targets and the more battles that Osss-10 had, the better the database became at predicting his opponents' moves. The vessel had a set of laser cannons located on its prow and was also equipped with a multi-frequency scanning and lock-on device that could scan other starships from a long distance away.
Behind the scenesEdit
Osss-10 was created by the author K. W. Jeter and made appeared in the 1999 novel Hard Merchandise, the third installment of the The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. The novel did not specify Osss-10's species.
- Hard Merchandise (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Hard Merchandise
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ Hard Merchandise depicts Osss-10's encounter with the bounty hunter Boba Fett as occurring concurrently with the Battle of Endor, a battle that is dated to 4 ABY by the The New Essential Chronology.