Built inside of a hydrostatic bubble linked with the other structures of the underwater city of Otoh Gunga, the Zoological Research Facility, or ZRF, was a place where wild animals could be seen and studied. Primarily featuring marine animals that inhabited the swamps and undersea trenches of Naboo, the zoo also kept terrestrial beasts and avian species. Each species of creature was kept in a custom habitat where a small holodisplay presented information on the animal so that visitors might learn and visualize how the animal behaved in the wild.
Maintained by highly trained keepers, such as Yr'Apaly Omin, the ZRF was a secure area, with its own security. Containing a research institute that investigated all manner of scientific inquiry, marine scientists, biologists, and researchers milled about the ZRF on a daily basis.
Sometime before the Invasion of Naboo, Jar Jar Binks accidentally deactivated half the s containing the wildlife. Releasing several animals from the zoo into the city caused a major commotion and upset Boss Rugor Nass, who sentenced Binks to six months of hard labor in the Quarry penal colony.
- Episode I Adventures 9: Rescue in the Core (First appearance)
- Episode I Adventures 10: Festival of Warriors (Mentioned only)
- Episode I Adventures 12: The Bongo Rally (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Mentioned only)
- "The Death of Captain Tarpals"—Star Wars Tales 3 (Mentioned only)
- The New Essential Guide to Characters (Jar Jar Binks entry)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 5 (JAR3, Jar Jar Binks)
- Nexus of Power