The oversectors were originally created during the Clone Wars by the Sector Governance Decree. The decree gave twenty of the new Moffs responsibility for supporting the Republic's twenty Sector Armies. These Moffs' military territories, the oversectors, matched the Sector Armies' theaters of operations. They crossed the boundaries of the regional sectors and freed their Moffs to constantly consult local authorities.
After the Declaration of a New Order, oversectors were reorganized as part of the Imperial militarization. Some of them remained unchanged (such as the Coruscant Oversector) or were expanded (the Greater Seswenna became Oversector Outer) and several others disappeared. The sectors were placed under the authority of a Grand Moff.
Oversectors were sometimes known as priority sectors. This term was applied to areas where the Empire was pursuing active military campaigns or special military projects. The Death Star Project was consider as a priority sector.
The creation of Imperial Oversectors was first recommended by the Tarkin Doctrine. They usually contained between two and a dozen sectors. The Grand Moff were assigned by Palpatine as a military Regional Governors, superseding the authority of Sectorial Governors (Moffs), Planetary Governors, and other local authorities. The Grand Moffs were given direct control over the systems within their Oversectors, and could use practically limitless resources and means to squash Rebel activity therein.
List of OversectorsEdit
The 20 original sectorsEdit
- Imperial Sourcebook
- Death Star Technical Companion
- Death Star Technical Companion, Second Edition
- Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- Cracken's Threat Dossier
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 45 ("priority sector")
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook