A Padawan, also known as a Padawan learner, Padawan apprentice, or Apprentice, referred to a Force-sensitive adolescent who trained in the Jedi Order to one day become a full-fledged Jedi. Padawans were known as Jedi younglings at first, and trained in classroom settings with multiple students and a teacher. After reaching a certain age, Padawans were normally apprenticed to a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master, beginning their one-on-one training. A Jedi was meant to choose the padawan who they wished to train. Apprentices would often go on missions with their masters as part of this one-on-one training. The Code forbade the Jedi from training more than one Padawan or apprentice at a time. Most of the Padawans were known to grow or wear Padawan braids to symbolize their rank. After completing the Jedi Trials, a Padawan would be promoted to the rank of Jedi Knight.
During the Clone Wars, the Jedi Council began to assign padawns to Jedi, instead of allowing them to choose. During the war padawns became Jedi Commanders in the Grand Army of the Republic, and helped lead the Republic's clone troopers against the Confederacy of Independent Systems. After the establishment of the Galactic Empire, a few ex-Padawans that had survived Order 66 or left the Jedi Order before the purge joined the nascent Rebel Alliance.
Behind the scenesEdit
The term "Padawan" first appeared as far back on George Lucas's first story treatments for the 1977 film Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, the first installment of the Star Wars original trilogy. It wasn't heard, however, before the filming of the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, the first installment of the prequel trilogy. In all previous works, including the original movies or early Star Wars Legends stories, the concept was referred as "Apprentice".
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 16: Burning Seas, Part IV
- ↑ 3.0 3.1
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- ↑ A New Dawn
- ↑ Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Darth Maul, Part II
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Monster"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 Star Wars:The Clone Wars
- ↑ "The End of History"—Star Wars Insider 154
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Lair of Grievous"
- ↑ Jedi of the Republic—Mace Windu, Part IV
- ↑ Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- ↑ Dawn of Rebellion