- "Your Highness, this is a battle I do not think that we can win."
- ―Panaka, to Queen Padmé Amidala
Panaka, human male native to the planet Naboo, was a security forces captain who served the Royal House of Naboo during the final years of the Galactic Republic. When the Trade Federation invaded Naboo in 32 BBY, Panaka fled the planet, accompanying Queen Padmé Amidala to Tatooine and then Coruscant before ultimately returning to Naboo in order to liberate their homeworld. He would later acquire the title of Moff during the rise of the Galactic Empire.
Panaka served as the royal bodyguard for Queen Padmé Amidala during the Trade Federation invasion of Naboo. He was referred to as "the quickest eyes on Naboo" due to his detail-oriented approach and dedication to the queen's safety. As the head of the royal security, Panaka oversaw the Security Guard, the Palace Guard, and the Naboo Royal Space Fighter Corps.
After Amidala became senator of Naboo, his nephew Gregar Typho replaced him as her head of security. Panaka would continue his service under Queen Jamillia. He was also a member of the Republic Special Task Force, in which he gained experience fighting space pilots.
Eventually, after the Galactic Republic was replaced by the Galactic Empire, Panaka was made a Moff. He gave Emperor Palpatine an ornate statue, which was placed in the Emperor's receiving chamber aboard the second Death Star.
Behind the scenesEdit
Panaka was portrayed by Ghanaian British actor Hugh Quarshie in Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. Quarshie was originally set to reprise his role as Panaka in Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, but due many conflicts between the producers and him, Quarshie declined to reprise his role and the character of Gregar Typho, portrayed by Jay Laga'aia, was created to replace Panaka.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- ↑ Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- ↑ 10 Actors Who Turned Down Roles In Star Wars. What Culture.