- "Or the campaigns of Saw Gerrera's Partisans? Can you condone that?"
"We did what had to be done."
- ―Ransolm Casterfo and Leia Organa, on the Partisans' so-called terrorist actions
The Partisans, also referred to as Saw Gerrera's militia, and Saw Gerrera's rebels were a militant insurgent group and rebel cell who enacted armed campaigns against the Galactic Empire during the Imperial Era. Led and founded by Saw Gerrera in 19 BBY, the Partisans played a part in destabilizing Gerrera's homeworld of Onderon from the Empire's occupying forces and eventually became allied with first the rebellion, and later, the Alliance to Restore the Republic. However, some, like Rebel Alliance founders Mon Mothma and Bail Organa, distanced themselves from Gerrera's faction due to their willingness to resort to extreme tactics, such as torture and attacks on civilian targets. By 0 BBY, the militia had very little communication with the mainstream Alliance, and Gerrera's militia besieged the holy moon of Jedha with the intentions of purging the Imperial occupation. However, the campaign took a major blow with the destruction of the Holy City by the Imperial Death Star battle station's superlaser, and the death of Saw Gerrera himself.
The Partisans were also responsible for enough attacks resulting in civilian casualties that the Galactic Empire in response made a propaganda poster denouncing the Rebel Alliance as a terrorist group. The campaigns of the Partisans were later mentioned by New Republic Senator Ransolm Casterfo as an example of the Rebels' so-called terrorist tactics during the war, and also demanded of Leia Organa to know if she condoned it or not, with Leia simply saying he did what needed to be done without saying either way regarding her views on the matter.
Following Onderon's Civil War and the Galactic Republic's transformation into the Galactic Empire Saw Gerrera reorganized the Onderon rebels into the Partisans. When the Empire sent ISB Agent Kallus and his platoon to bring peace to Onderon, Gerrera and a Lasat mercenary ambushed them. The Lasat then mercilessly executed the platoon and left Kallus alive.
In 13 BBY, Gerrera then took Jyn Erso and accepted her into the partisans. By 5 BBY, Erso was one of the best fighters among the partisans. However, Gerrera was forced to abandon her due to her father, Galen Walton Erso, being an Imperial collaborator.
By 2 BBY, Saw Gerrera was at odds with Senator Mon Mothma, leader of the larger rebellion in terms of how the war was to be fought. The Partisan leader attempted to convince the Spectres to join his cause. Soon after, he assisted the rebels in their mission to the Jalindi relay. He and Benthic took their U-wing. Gerrera dropped proton bombs on the relay to destroy it, and rescued the Spectres from their mission.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
Following the death of Gerrera, the remaining Partisans continued his extremist legacy to thwart the Empire at any cost. After the theft of the Death Star plans, the newly formed Inferno Squad was ordered to infiltrate and eliminate the surviving Partisans. When the rebellion began looking for a new base, the Partisans were then approached by Princess Leia Organa, Jedi Luke Skywalker, Captain Han Solo, and Chewbacca after rescuing Partisan Ubin Des and Chulco Gi from the Imperials. The Partisans were attempting to stop the Empire from extracting more Kyber crystals from what remained of Jedha. Des and Gi then took the Millenium Falcon to the Partisans' new base on Jedha. There, they were brought before Benthic, who believed they should kill the Rebels.
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (First appearance)
- Rebel Rising
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Honorable Ones" (First mentioned; albeit indirectly)
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan
- Star Wars Rebels – "Ghosts of Geonosis"
- Star Wars Rebels – "In the Name of the Rebellion"
- Guardians of the Whills
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Graphic Novel Adaptation
- Rogue One, Part I
- Rogue One, Part II
- Rogue One, Part III
- Rogue One, Part V (Appears in flashback(s))
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
- Star Wars 38: The Ashes of Jedha, Part I
- Star Wars 39: The Ashes of Jedha, Part II
- Star Wars 40: The Ashes of Jedha, Part III
- Bloodline (Mentioned only) (First identified as Partisans)
- LEGO Star Wars Rogue One (Set: 75172 Y-Wing Starfighter)
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Rogue One: Rebel Dossier (First identified as Saw Gerrera's militia)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as Saw Gerrera's rebels)
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Bloodline
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- ↑ Star Wars 39: The Ashes of Jedha, Part II
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Rebel Rising
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars Rebels – "The Honorable Ones"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "In the Name of the Rebellion"
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Star Wars 38: The Ashes of Jedha, Part I
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Guardians of the Whills