- "Oh no! The rancor!"
Pateesa (Huttese for "friend") was a male rancor owned by the Hutt crime lord Jabba Desilijic Tiure after his majordomo Bib Fortuna gave it to him as a birthday gift. The Hutt kept the pet in his palace on the desert planet Tatooine where it was cared for by the human keeper Malakili. Jabba often fed his enemies or those who upset him to the beast. When the Twi'lek dancer Oola displeased the Hutt during the Galactic Civil War, he dropped her into the pit below his throne room where he kept Pateesa and the rancor devoured her. Shortly after the dancer's death, the Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker arrived at the palace with the intent of rescuing his friend Han Solo who Jabba held captive; however, after Skywalker failed to negotiate Solo's release and threatened Jabba he was dropped into the pit along with an unlucky Gamorrean guard. Pateesa quickly ate the guard, but was then killed by Skywalker, who managed to lower a dividing door within the pit down onto the rancor's head. Pateesa's death greatly upset Jabba, who demanded Skywalker and his companions be executed at the Great Pit of Carkoon, but died above the pit when the Jedi escaped. Malakili was even more impacted by the rancor's death, feeling that he had failed him and no longer had purpose in life.
- Bounty Hunt
- The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
- Star Wars Battlefront (Appears as a corpse) (DLC)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Rescue from Jabba's Palace
- Return of the Jedi Golden Book
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Aftermath: Life Debt (Mentioned only) (First identified as Pateesa)
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Star Wars: Card Trader
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations