The Pathfinder was notable for the unique design of its shield generator. When the shields absorbed a hit, the energy absorbed was diverted to the ship's turret-mounted laser cannon, increasing its firepower. After three hits, however, the generator overloaded, and the ship's shields were unusable for a brief period of time. Some early models were actually destroyed due to explosions in their shield generators. Many scouts and pilots operating Pathfinders replaced their ships' shield generators with more conventional ones which were not prone to overload. Others elected to keep the original generators, either to save the 10,000 credit price of a rebuilt shield generator or to keep the damage-absorbing properties of its weapons systems.
Although the problems with the shields led to Vangaard stopping production of the Pathfinder, it found success as a privately owned scout ship even as late as the New Republic era. It was inexpensive, had sufficient space for a scout's cargo and passengers, could operate for six standard months without supplies, and (except for the shields) was extremely reliable.
The Atrivis Advancer was a Pathfinder owned by the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and operated by Flinor Tekkirl. The Shistavanen scout Yurdak Fav owned a modified Pathfinder named the Zol-Uvena. The Alliance scout Jobany Cyrs flew the Outward Bound, a Pathfinder that had been in his family for several generations.
- Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts
- Cracken's Rebel Operatives
- "A Buyer's Guide to Alternative Starships"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 5
- Alliance Intelligence Reports
- The Black Sands of Socorro
- Star Wars: Force and Destiny Core Rulebook (First identified as Pathfinder-class scout ship)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Galaxy Guide 8: Scouts notes that the Pathfinder was introduced "63 years ago;" supplemental information from the sourcebook establishes that the book is set in 7 ABY.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Cracken's Rebel Operatives
- ↑ Alliance Intelligence Reports
- ↑ The Black Sands of Socorro