- "There are several medical transports surrounding the station."
"Target the transports first."
- ―A B1 battle droid and General Grievous during the Battle of the Kaliida Nebula
The Pelta-class frigate, also known as the Republic medical frigate, was a model of frigate manufactured by Kuat Drive Yards. During the Clone Wars, they were used by the Republic Navy to safely ferry injured clones to medical stations for treatment, as well as serving as a supply ship to deliver armaments, medical supplies, or food rations. These vessels were vital to Republic operations on Ryloth and Christophsis, which saw the use of Pelta-class frigates as blockade runners and supply ships.
During the Imperial Era, the early rebellion, and later the Rebel Alliance, fought against the Galactic Empire and used Pelta-class frigates as medcenters, with a handful of them retrofitted with turbolasers and point-defense laser cannons. One notable example of the retrofitted Pelta frigates was Phoenix Home, which served as a rebel capital ship for Phoenix Squadron, until it was destroyed by Darth Vader.
- "I'll go to the reactor room and disable the thrusters. You head for the aft comm-center and send a warning to Master Fisto"
- ―Barriss Offee, to Ahsoka Tano
The Pelta-class frigate was a model of frigate that was manufactured by Kuat Drive Yards, measured at 282 meters, and had a crew of 900. It was equipped with a deflector shield generator and a hyperdrive. During the Imperial Era, the early rebellion, and later the Alliance to Restore the Republic, retrofitted Pelta-class frigates with turbolasers and point-defense laser cannons to fulfill other roles. The Alliance also modified Pelta-class Assault Ships and the Pelta-class Command Ships, variants of the standard Pelta-class frigate.
The interior layout of Pelta-class frigates were lined with ventilation shafts and white corridors with controls, and were equipped with a variety of facilities for the passengers and crew of the frigates, including a barracks for escorting clone troopers, private quarters for other passengers such as Jedi padawans, and a mess hall for dining. The private quarters featured at least four beds, one located above the other, and was equipped with computer consoles on the opposite side of the entrance. The barracks were situated between the private quarters and the mess hall. The barracks had doors on opposite sides, and the bunk beds were lined parallel to the middle corridor. The mess hall also had two entrances, one opposite the other, with the food serving station positioned on one side, vertical to the doors.
The bridge of the Pelta-class frigate was located at the top of the vessel. Ray shields were equipped in a passageway to reach the bridge, acting as a security countermeasure. The Pelta-class frigates also had a cargo bay for supplies, a reactor control room that included the controls for the coolant and power systems, and an aft communications station. The Pelta-class frigate also had a ramp on the keel that opened up for easy transportation of supplies, as well as landing gear.
- "The destruction of our command ship has severely limited our ability to fight the Empire in this sector."
- ―Commander Jun Sato after the lose of the Pelta-class frigate Phoenix Home
The Pelta-class frigate served a variety of purposes during its service, seeing extensive use during the Clone Wars, primarily as a hospital ship and supply ship, in the Republic Navy of the Galactic Republic. Pelta-class frigates were also used by the Alliance to Restore the Republic as command ships and hospital vessels. After undergoing weapon retrofits, the frigates served larger combat and command roles, as well as fire support, anti-starfighter roles, and communications responsibilities.
At least one rebel Pelta-class frigate, the Phoenix Home, was modified to carry several starfighters in a make-shift hangar bay, serving in the capacity of a starfighter carrier. While serving in the capacity of a carrier, the frigate would typically be flanked by escorts, such as CR90 corvettes. One one occasion, a Pelta-class frigate was destroyed by a single TIE Advanced x1 starfighter after only several strafing runs.
Battle of ChristophsisEdit
- "General, one of the supply ships has been hit."
- ―A clone officer to General Anakin Skywalker during the Battle of Christophsis
The Pelta-class frigates saw early action on the onset of the Clone Wars, with three being deployed to Christophsis in 22 BBY to deliver much needed supplies to Senator Bail Organa and his relief effort which was cut off by Separatist forces during the early stages of the Battle of Christophsis. The frigates were escorted by Jedi General Anakin Skywalker, Admiral Wullf Yularen, and three Venator-class Star Destroyers. Although Skywalker was instructed not to engage the Separatist fleet by Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi, Skywalker decided to engage the Separatist armada regardless, and was soon outnumbered and outgunned, as the Separatist fleet consisted of Munificent-class star frigates, Lucrehulk-class Battleship, and the Invincible, a Providence-class dreadnought. Unbeknownst to Skywalker and Yularen, the Separatist fleet was led by none other than Admiral Trench, who was thought to have been vaporized by the Republic at the Battle of Malastare Narrows when his ship was destroyed.
Skywalker and Yularen were able to briefly contact Organa, who warned that they were in danger of being overrun by Separatist ground forces. The transmission was cut off just as one of Skywalker's Venator-class Star Destroyers was hit by a barrage of Separatist laser fire. Soon, the Invincible began bearing down on the Republic fleet unopposed, and Trench ordered his forces to separate the Pelta frigates from their escorts, and launched a salvo of laser fire at the Republic fleet, resulting in the destruction of a Pelta frigate. Kenobi soon arrived in the Negotiator, contacting Skywalker and advising him to retreat as Kenobi had brought a new secret weapon that would give them an advantage in the battle. Skywalker reluctantly agreed, ordering the two remaining Pelta frigates to retreat to Kenobi's position behind Leesis, the moon of Christophsis, while Skywalker's Venators covered their retreat. Eventually, Trench was defeated when Skywalker used the secret weapon, a stealth ship, to destroy the Invincible, with Trench still onboard.
As the battle continued on the surface, Yularen and a Venator-class Star Destroyer were sent to a Haven-class medical station to pick up supplies and reinforcements, with several Pelta-class frigates also docking with the station.
Battle of RylothEdit
- "This is blockade runner 0-9-9, we have broken through!"
- ―A Pelta-class frigate relays that they have broken through the Separatist blockade
When the Separatists invaded the planet Ryloth in 22 BBY, the Republic garrison led by Jedi General Ima-Gun Di and the Twi'lek Resistance led by General Cham Syndulla were quickly overrun, with heavy fighting on the surface, and Di attempted to contact the Jedi High Council for reinforcements. After some time of fighting, Republic supplies were exhausted, and Republic forces were being overwhelmed. Di ordered the Republic fleet in space led by Admiral Dao to attempt to contact the Jedi High Council again for immediate reinforcements. Although Dao finally managed to contact the Jedi Council and inform them of their dire situation, the Republic fleet was destroyed and Dao was killed mid-transmission.
Since Ryloth was too far from the nearest Republic base to help in time, and Toydaria being the closest potential base to launch a humanitarian mission, the Jedi contacted Organa and informed him of the situation on Ryloth, asking him to negotiate alongside Junior Representative Jar Jar Binks to persuade the Toydarians to open up their world as a supply base for several Pelta frigates to launch their aid mission to Ryloth from. After failed negotiations with the Toydarians at the impediment of Senator Lott Dod of the Trade Federation, King Katuunko approached Organa and Binks stating that the Toydarians could not turn a blind eye to the suffering on Ryloth, and that the Republic may use Toydaria as a supply base on the conditions that it would only be the supplies that the Republic have already brought with them and that the Trade Federation would not be aware of the aid mission.
Organa devised a plan which included a special dinner for Katuunko, several of his advisors, and the representatives of the Trade Federation, all of which was a ruse to distract the Trade Federation of the three Pelta frigates which were loading up the supplies and leaving for Ryloth. The Trade Federation was unaware of the ruse until it was far too late, and so the three Pelta frigates successfully passed through the Separatist blockade of Ryloth and dropped relief supplies to the Twi'lek Resistance and their families, and with the sacrifice of Di and his men to cover their retreat, were able to continue their fight against the Separatists.
The threat of the MalevolenceEdit
- "Guide the patients that can be moved onto the transports as quickly as you can."
- ―Chief Nala Se, to a clone officer
After the Battle of Abregado, the new Separatist weapon, a Subjugator-class heavy cruiser named the Malevolence under the command of General Grievous, was tasked with destroying a convoy of at least three Pelta-class frigates, which were being escorted by a Venator-class Star Destroyer. The successful attack led to the entire convoy being destroyed, with survivors attempting to escape in escape pods. Soon after, Grievous was given new orders by Count Dooku to target and destroy a Haven-class medical station, the Kaliida Shoals Medical Center, as it housed tens of thousands of wounded clone troopers, making it a target ripe for destroying. With Grievous forced to take a longer route around a large nebula to reach the station, the Republic deduced that based on the previous attack, the medical station was the next likely target, and Skywalker was dispatched along with his padawan Ahsoka Tano, Jedi General Plo Koon, and Shadow Squadron, to the medical station and destroy the Malevolence.
Yularen alerted the medical station of the incoming threat, with Chief Medical Scientist Nala Se informing Yularen that even if they had the necessary transports, there would still not be enough time to evacuate all of the wounded. Kenobi soon contacted Nala Se, informing her that the nearby planet Naboo was sending ships to aid in the evacuation. As Grievous was en route to the medical staion, Pelta frigates began arriving and loading the more stable wounded patients to the frigates first, with the more critially injured having to wait. When Grievous and Skywalker arrived, Grievous opted to target a fleeing group of Pelta frigates first, and then deal with Skywalker and his squadron. After Grievous destroyed the fleeing group of Peltas, the Malevolence and its starfighters engaged Skywalker and his squadron, and in the ensuing battle, Skywalker lost nearly half of his squadron. At the behest of Tano and Koon, Skywalker decided to change his strategy of attacking the bridge to targeting the ion cannons of the Malevolence.
This strategy turned out to be successful, as the Malevolence received critical damage to both of its ion cannons and hyperdrive, with extensive damage throughout the vessel. As three Venators lead by Kenobi and Yularen arrived, Grievous was forced to call of his attack and retreat and call for reinforcements. In the aftermath of the battle, the surviving Pelta frigates returned to the medical station, the Separatist reinforcements were engaged by Jedi General Luminara Unduli and her forces, and the Malevolence would eventually be destroyed after its hyperdrive was sabotaged, sending it crashing into a nearby moon.
- "Very well. Take a medical frigate."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, to Ahsoka Tano and Barriss Offee
In 21 BBY in the aftermath of the Second Battle of Geonosis, Republic forces situated on Geonosis received a distress call from Jedi General Mace Windu and his forces on Dantooine. Windu's defenses held, but the battle was costly to his men and he requested medical supplies. With Skywalker, Kenobi, Unduli, and Jedi General Ki-Adi-Mundi occupied with the aftermath of the battle and the transportation of Archduke Poggle the Lesser to Coruscant for interrogation, Skywalker suggested that they let padawans Tano and Barriss Offee handle the supply mission and use TB-73, a Pelta-class frigate, and to pick up the supplies in a Haven-class medical station. Tango Company was ordered to accompany the Jedi, however, unbeknownst to all of them, Scythe, a member of Tango Company, was infected by a Geonosian brain worm, previously seen and thought destroyed along with the Progate Temple, in which Queen Karina the Great used the brain worms to form a hive mind and reanimate dead Geonosian warriors to create an undead army.
An infected Scythe gathered more Geonosian brain worms and brought them inside TB-73, resulting in the infection of most of the crew, and soon took command of the bridge after killing the pilots. Tano and Offee, unaware of the dire situation, went to the mess hall to eat and relax when they were attacked by several infected clone troopers. Deciding to split up, Tano was able to communicate with Clone Captain CT-7567 and Skywalker, and informed them of her situation. Skywalker interrogated Poggle for information on how to stop the brain worms without the knowledge of the others. After Skywalker force chokeed Poggle, he informed Skywalker that the worms were affected by the cold. After Offee was infected, she engaged in a duel with Tano, with Tano being able to escape and rupture the coolant system onboard the ship as instructed by Skywalker.
One by one, the brain worms began to become affected by the severe cold, just as TB-73 came out of hyperspace. Jedi General Kit Fisto, who was onboard the medical station, dispatched two Republic tugboats to help guide the ship into the docking port. The spacetugs were having difficulty guiding the ship in, with the tug pilots deducing that the pilots of TB-73 were dead and that there was no one at the controls. After Tano briefly dueled Offee once more in the bridge, Tano was able to kill the brain worm that infected Offee, rendering her unconscious. The tugs were eventually successful in docking TB-73 to the medical station, preventing a collision between TB-73, the medical station, and other Peltas docked with the station. Republic forces quarantined the ship and rescued Tano, Offee, and the clone troopers, who were all able to recover from the cold and the infections.
Later, after the Endurance was sabotaged by Boba Fett to seek revenge against Windu for killing his father, Jango Fett, the Endurance crashed on the surface of Vanqor, and a Pelta-class frigate under the command of Captain Silver arrived in the system to pick up survivors who evacuated before the ship entered atmosphere. The Pelta remained in the area until Skywalker and Windu, who evacuated the ship before it crashed, reported from the crash site that there were no other survivors. Later in the war, during the Battle of Sullust, as least one Pelta-class frigate participated in the battle, staying closer to larger Republic capital ships.
- "Let's get these cans unloaded."
- ―Clone Commander Wolffe during the mission to Aleen
After earthquakes rocked the planet Aleen in 20 BBY, the 104th Battalion under the command of Clone Commander CC-3636 "Wolffe", were dispatched with an Acclamator-class assault ship and three Pelta-class frigates to give the Aleena supplies and help them rebuild. Later, following the conclusion of the Battle of Kadavo and the rescue of Togruta colonists of Kiros who were kidnapped to be sold into slavery, several Pelta-class frigates, a Venator-class Star Destroyer, and an Arquitens-class light cruiser were on site to aid the colonists.
In the aftermath of the attack on Obi-Wan Kenobi's fleet and its destruction at the hands of Grievous near Florrum, Kenobi and his fellow survivors were rescued, and were situated in a Venator-class Star Destroyer with several Pelta-class frigates escorting, when Hondo Ohnaka and the remnants of his pirate cartel arrived with a group of Jedi younglings and Tano, who had previously been captured by Ohnaka and his gang until an attack by Grievous.
- "I will not abandon our command ship!"
- ―Commander Jun Sato during the attack on Phoenix Squadron
With the fall of the Galactic Republic and the rise of the Galactic Empire, the early rebellion, and later Rebel Alliance, utilized Pelta-class frigates as hospital ships, with several Pelta frigates being retrofitted with turbolasers and point-defense laser cannons to fufill larger roles such as anti-starfighter, fire support, communications, and command roles. At some point during the early rebellion against the Galactic Empire, Kaeden Larte enrolled in the medical program, and was stationed on a Pelta-class frigate that served as a medical frigate.
By 4 BBY, one retrofitted Pelta-class frigate, Phoenix Home, served as the flagship of Phoenix Squadron under the leadership of Commander Jun Sato, and also consisted of the Spectres, until it was destroyed by Darth Vader during the Siege of Lothal. After the destruction of Phoenix Home, Sato, Ahsoka Tano, and the Spectres discussed the loss of their command ship, and it soon became apparent that they would need to establish a suitable base. Tano offered help, in that she knew someone who could help them find suitable locations.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Pelta-class frigate first appeared in the theatrical film, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which was released in 2008. The frigate also saw featured use in the series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and was prominently featured in the episode "Brain Invaders" where it served as the primary setting of the episode.
The Pelta-class frigate saw its Star Wars Rebels debut in the second season premier TV movie, Star Wars Rebels: The Siege of Lothal shown during Celebration Anaheim on April 18th 2015 and released publicly on June 20th of the same year. The Pelta-class frigate was first named in now-Star Wars Legends The Clone Wars Campaign Guide. It was first canonically identified in the Databank on the StarWars.com website.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Supply Lines"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destroy Malevolence" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty Hunters" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brain Invaders"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "R2 Come Home"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mercy Mission"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nomad Droids" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Escape from Kadavo"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond"
- Star Wars Rebels: The Siege of Lothal
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Lost Commanders" (Appears in hologram)
- "By Whatever Sun"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- (First identified as Republic medical frigate)
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: Armada – Phoenix Home Expansion Pack (Card: )
- Star Wars: Armada – Phoenix Home Expansion Pack (Card: )
- (First identified as Pelta-class frigate)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: Armada – Phoenix Home Expansion Pack
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Star Wars Rebels: The Siege of Lothal
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brain Invaders"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mercy Mission"
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Supply Lines"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destroy Malevolence"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "R2 Come Home"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Escape from Kadavo"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bound for Rescue"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond"
- ↑ "Born in the Storm"—From a Certain Point of View
- ↑ The events of Star Wars Rebels: The Siege of Lothal take place between "Empire Day," which marks the beginning of the fourth year before the Battle of Yavin; and "A Princess on Lothal," which is the first known episode to take place in the third year before the Battle of Yavin. As such, we can deduce that the Siege of Lothal, and events within it, take place in the fourth year before the Battle of Yavin. For more information, see Wookieepedia's Timeline of Star Wars Rebels Events.
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Lost Commanders"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Rotten Tomatoes. Archived from the original on December 27, 2017. Retrieved on March 1, 2018. "STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS (2008)"
- ↑ STAR WARS CELEBRATION ANAHEIM SCHEDULE REVEALED!. Star Wars News Net (3-24-2015). Archived from the original on February 19, 2017. Retrieved on March 1, 2018. "The official Star Wars Celebration page has been updated with the full schedule of the event taking place in Anaheim (April 16-19)."
- ↑ [Jim] (6-16-2015). James Earl Jones Returns to Voice Darth Vader as Star Wars Rebels Begins Its Second Season on Disney XD. Huffington Post. Archived from the original on June 17, 2017. Retrieved on March 1, 2018. "Do you remember how big, strong & scary Darth Vader was in Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope ? Well, that version of this Dark Lord of the Sith — back when Vader was at the very height of his powers — will be front & center as “Star Wars Rebels“ begins its second season on Disney XD"
- ↑ The Clone Wars Campaign Guide