- "The New Republic is still merely the Rebellion, thinly disguised as an official entity. They are outlaws, and they will continue to think and do as such. In the Pentastar Alignment, there will be no tolerance for any Rebel insurrection."
- ―Grand Moff Ardus Kaine
The Pentastar Alignment of Powers, best known simply as the Pentastar Alignment, was a splinter movement in the Galactic Empire and a political conglomerate in the Outer Rim, centered around the "Velcar Free Commerce Zone".
After the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, the Galactic Empire fragmented into many pieces. Instead of trying to keep control of the complete Outer Rim, Grand Moff Ardus Kaine, who had earlier replaced Grand Moff Tarkin at the head of the Oversector Outer, concentrated his forces in fourteen sectors of the New Territories.
Kaine used his personal Executor-class Star Dreadnought, the Reaper, for some none-too-subtle intimidation as a venue to hold talks with representatives of multiple star systems and five major Imperial corporations. The talks were successful, and the Pentastar Alignment was founded in 4 ABY.
The Alignment largely maintained an isolationist position, and sought to be on peaceful terms with all parties. This lead to the New Republic reciprocating and largely ignoring the Alignment; although pirates and mercenaries such as the Red Moons continued to harry the Alignment.
In 8 ABY, Grand Admiral Thrawn returned from the Unknown Regions in a last-ditch attempt to reunite and consolidate the faltering Empire. The Alignment contributed some forces to Thrawn's efforts but did not formally join him, preferring to continue its militarization in anticipation of conflict with the New Republic.
One year later, the resurrected Emperor Palpatine began to reunite various Imperial splinter factions as part of Operation Shadow Hand, an effort to topple the New Republic. The Emperor was more successful than Thrawn in recruiting Kaine, and the Pentastar Alignment forces eventually attacked the New Republic. Joining Thrawn's remnant forces, Ardus Kaine made a successful campaign against the New Republic forces, winning a dozen victories until penetrating the Core Worlds. However, the conflict was a failure, with Kaine killed and Palpatine defeated for the last time.
The Pentastar Alignment was annexed by Admiral Gilad Pellaeon in 12 ABY, becoming part of the Imperial Remnant. The Reaper became Pellaeon's flagship until its destruction at the Battle of Celanon in 13 ABY. Before 19 ABY, Kaine's homeworld Sartinaynian—renamed Bastion—became the Imperial Remnant's capital, remaining thus for over a century.
Government and politicsEdit
An Empire-in-miniature, the Pentastar Alignment nevertheless differed in organization, as it was administratively split in two: "Order" and "Enforcement". Order comprised the Politorate, Insurrection, Judgment, and Protectorate branches; Enforcement was simply the Pentastar Patrol police force (which would design, along with Kuat Drive Yards and Sienar Fleet Systems, the Enforcer-class picket cruiser).
The Alignment was made of fourteen sectors and held the allegiance of hundreds of planets. Many of the planets were part of the former Confederacy of Independent Systems, including the "Velcar Free Commerce Zone" (containing Capza, Entralla, and Bextar) and the worlds Jaemus, Cantras Gola, Gabredor III, Bescane, and Criton's Point.
- Albarrio sector
- Atrivis sector
- Braxant sector
- Carrion sector
- Cassander sector
- Clacis sector
- Dynali sector
- Obtrexta sector
- Myto sector
- Perinn sector
- Prefsbelt sector
- Raioballo sector
- Relgim sector
- Velcar sector
- "Blaze of Glory"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 8
- "It's a Gambler's Life"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 4
- "Counterstrike"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 8 (Mentioned only)
- (Reprint) (Mentioned only)
- "The Pentastar Alignment"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 3 (First mentioned)
- "Blasters for Hire"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 3
- Classic Adventures: Volume Four - The Best of the Journal
- Pirates & Privateers
- "Who's Who: Imperial Grand Admirals"—Star Wars Insider 66
- The Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- (First identified as Pentastar Alignment of Powers)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 "The Pentastar Alignment"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 3
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 "Blaze of Glory"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 8
- ↑ Legacy Era Campaign Guide
- ↑ "It's a Gambler's Life"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 4