|Chronological and political information|
- "Approximately 12,000 BBY a theocratic conspiracy, centuries in the offing, impeached Chancellor Pers'lya and placed its own man, Contispex, in the seat."
- ―Gabrel Treon, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji: A Cartel of Genes
Pers'lya was a Bothan male politician who became the Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic around 12,000 BBY. In 11,987 BBY, Pers'lya was impeached due to the manipulations of the humanocentric religious group Pius Dea, which sought to place Contispex I, an adherent of their religion, in power. After his impeachment, Pers'lya was assassinated, and Contispex was placed into office as Supreme Chancellor; he went on to initiate the Pius Dea crusades.
Pers'lya, a Bothan male, was a politician hailing from the planet Bothawui who served in the Galactic Senate, the governing body of the Galactic Republic. He was successful in his bid for the Office of the Supreme Chancellor at some point before 12,000 BBY. However, in 11,987 BBY, Pers'lya was impeached during his term by the Senate, due to the manipulations of a conspiratorial and theocratic sect known as the Pius Dea, whose belief system emphasized humanocentrism.
Sometime after Pers'lya's impeachment, he was assassinated. His successor, Contispex I—who was an adherent of the Pius Dea religion—took advantage of tensions within the Hutt Empire that had emerged in the wake of the Hutt Cataclysms. Contispex approved a full-scale invasion of Hutt Space by the Pius Dea-controlled Republic in 11,965 BBY, beginning the Pius Dea crusades.
Millennia after Pers'lya's death, the deposed Chancellor was mentioned in the historical article Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji: A Cartel of Genes, written by the historian Gabrel Treon. The article was published circa 104 ABY by the Byblos Journal of Historical Science.
Behind the scenesEdit
Pers'lya was first mentioned in the story Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji, which was written by Nathan O'Keefe for the Star Wars Hyperspace feature on StarWars.com. He was also mentioned in The Essential Guide to Warfare. In the PC video game Star Wars: The Old Republic, Pers'lya was mentioned in a codex entry, which detailed the history of the Pius Dea crusades.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Codex entry)
- (First mentioned)
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Nathan O'Keefe's StarWars.com Blog (content now obsolete; backup link on Archive.org)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Galactic History 19: The Pius Dea Crusades"
- ↑ Nathan O'Keefe's StarWars.com Blog (content now obsolete; backup link on Archive.org)