The Petranaki arena, also known as the Arena of Justice and commonly referred to as the Geonosian execution arena, was brought about by both a need for entertainment in the rigid Geonosian society, and an efficient way of disposing of otherwise resource-draining prisoners. The most popular attractions used deadly beasts in combat, resulting in the extinction of some of the more crowd pleasing creatures on Geonosis.
The arena itself was a natural formation carved out by millennia of weathering, with additions made by the Geonosians. Its floor consisted of sand and silt upon which events took place. The lower walls of the arena base included ancient low-relief carvings depicting famous battles and events. The arena could also be flooded if needed so for aquatic events.
- "«The felons before you have been convicted of espionage against the Sovereign System of Geonosis. Their sentence of death is to be carried out in this arena immediately!»"
- ―Sun Fac.
Shortly before the First Battle of Geonosis and the outbreak of the Clone Wars, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Padmé Amidala were all scheduled for execution, having been convicted of espionage by Poggle the Lesser. With a mix of ingenuity and Jedi abilities, the trio evaded the beasts long enough for Mace Windu to arrive with a strike force of Jedi Knights. In response, large numbers of battle droids flooded the arena, signaling the start of the Clone Wars. Fighting soon erupted between the two sides. The 212 Jedi were overwhelmed by the sheer amounts of droids and soon only about 30 of them survived overall. A dozen Jedi formed a circle while the rest who survived (like Jedi Knights Barriss Offee and Pablo-Jill) the battle were around the vicinity of arena but were not in the Jedi circle. It would have been a defeat for the Jedi if not for the timely arrival of Master Yoda and the newly christened Grand Army of the Republic, who managed to rout the CIS forces. Shortly after the battle had moved away from the arena the famed Republic clone commandos of Delta Squad fought their way through, into the High Audience Chamber, slaying the Geonosian lieutenant Sun Fac and shutting down the droid foundry beneath the arena. After the battle had been completely won, Republic forces took control of the planet, and droid remains were taken to be melted down.
- Restraint (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones comic
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones junior novel
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- Boba Fett: The Fight to Survive
- Star Wars: Republic Commando
- "Death in the Catacombs"—Star Wars Insider 79
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars video game
- Machines of War
- MedStar I: Battle Surgeons (Mentioned only)
- "MedStar: Intermezzo"—Star Wars Insider 83 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Republic: Trackdown (Mentioned only)
- Boba Fett: Pursuit (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith junior novel (Mentioned only)
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader (Mentioned only)
- Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows (Indirect mention only)
- The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Appears in flashback(s))
- Sacrifice (as arena on Geonosis) (Mentioned only)
- Revelation (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- The Lesson (Ambiguously canonical source)
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 63 (GEO11-12, Geonosis - Execution Arena)
- The New Essential Chronology (as "Geonosian execution arena")
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Official Figurine Collection 20
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 25
- "Mini Magic!"—Star Wars Insider 130 (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight
- (Picture only)