- "Only undisciplined pilots with a death wish fly the yards."
- ―Mac Rytin
The main pilot proving ground during the early days of the Galactic Civil War saw rookie Rebels enter a modified area of space, where metallic platforms were placed in the manner of a corridor. The pilot had to pass through the doorways in the proper series, without over-passing one. In later levels, there were also turrets inflicting simulated damage, in order to train the pilot's targeting abilities while in speed. The course was informally referred to as "The Maze." Pilots were required to pass eight levels for any given ship, in order to earn a flight badge for it, certifying their skill.
After the Battle of Hoth, Rebel pilots began using a salvage yard as a proving ground, negotiating a course that used rings that formed a corridor, and also boosted the ship's speed temporarily. There were also exercises that demanded the pilot to pass through an asteroid. One pilot known to have been killed while flying a notably dangerous level was Ched Varga.
- X-Wing: The Official Strategy Guide
- X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM: The Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Strongholds of Resistance