A planetary ion cannon was a massive blaster weapon that could be used to temporarily or permanently disable electrical systems and penetrate shields. Used mainly in defense, they were also used by pirates on anarchic worlds such as Lok to disable ships for looting.
Its power source was usually a dedicated reactor sunken into the ground and it could be erected in several hours.
One was seen on the planet of Hoth during the Battle of Hoth. The ion cannon fired at an Imperial-Star Destroyer leaving it non-operational, thus letting some Rebel medium transports escape the planet before the Imperial invasion commenced.
Kuat Drive Yards was a large producer of planetary ion cannons.
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- Star Wars: Force Commander
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- Star Wars: Rebellion
- Star Wars Rebellion: My Brother, My Enemy
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back junior novel
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Interactive Video Board Game
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast