Planetary shields were large deflector shields designed to protect entire planets. These shields were used by the Galactic Empire to protect important military installations such as the security complex on Scarif, and by the First Order to protect their base of operations/superweapon, Starkiller Base.
Planetary shields were monolithic deflector shields that enveloped entire planets. Designed to protect important installations from attack, planetary shields were impregnable against starship fire and proton torpedoes; however, they proved no resistance against superlasers, such as that of the Death Star. In the case of Scarif's planetary shield, an orbital Shield Gate was used to create an aperture through which vessels could pass through. Planetary shields were so powerful that any starship unlucky enough to careen into one would be at least severely damaged, or even destroyed.
At the end of 0 BBY, the Rebel Alliance launched an attack on the shielded Imperial world of Scarif in an attempt to steal the plans to the Death Star battle station. During the battle, the Hammerhead corvette Lightmaker pushed the disabled Star Destroyer Persecutor into Scarif's Shield Gate and in turn, the planetary shield itself, creating an opening and allowing the Death Star plans to be transmitted to the Rebel Fleet. Seconds later, the Death Star itself arrived, firing a low-power superlaser blast at the Imperial installation below and completely dissipating the planetary shield.
After the Galactic Empire's defeat in 5 ABY, remnants of the fallen regime fled into the Unknown Regions in order to rebuild. The fledgling First Order began construction on Starkiller Base, a planet-turned-superweapon protected by a planetary shield. During their conflict with the First Order, the Resistance launched an assault on the planet and managed to force one of the Order's top officers to lower the deflector shield, allowing the Resistance Starfighter Corps to attack the base's thermal oscillator and ultimately destroy the planet.
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- "Blade Squadron: Zero Hour"—Star Wars Insider 160
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- Captain Phasma, Part I (Mentioned only)
- Captain Phasma, Part IV (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as planetary shield)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary