The Platoon Attack Craft (PAC), also known as the Trade Federation troop carrier or battle droid troop carrier, was a repulsorsled personnel carrier used by the Trade Federation to transport B1 battle droids.
The Trade Federation developed its Platoon Attack Craft after the success of the deployment racks installed within their Multi-Troop Transports. The Federation retrofitted a series of commercial repulsorlift sleds with the same design and technology, and re-designated the vessels as Platoon Attack Crafts, for use as troop carriers. The craft's drive unit was similarly adapted from a civilian cargo sled. The repulsorlift troop transport was twenty-six meters long, and was manufactured by Baktoid Armor Workshop,[source?] which was also responsible for manufacturing the Armored Assault Tanks and Multi-Troop Transports of the Trade Federation Droid Army.
An unarmed variant of the Multi-Troop Transport, the troop carrier boasted no weaponry or heavy armor and had to rely on AATs and battle droids for protection. It was deployed behind the protection of ground armor in secure conditions, or within occupied territory. The troop carrier was also equipped with a forward flood light for use at night. Although the MTT offered greater protection, the troop carrier was faster and more agile, and many were still retained in the Trade Federation's forces.
The troop carrier was piloted by two battle droid pilots. Similar to the deployment racks used in MTTs, the troop carrier's single rack could hold one hundred and twelve battle droids, folded into their space-saving configurations.
HistoryEditUp to 28 troop carriers could be fitted onto one C-9979 landing ship.
During the events of the Invasion of Naboo, the troop carriers were brought to Naboo along with MTTs and AATs in C-9979 landing craft. The troop carriers were part of the Trade Federation invasion force that occupied the capital city Theed.
During the Clone Wars, troop carriers were pledged by the Trade Federation to the droid army of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. On Geonosis, they transported battle droid platoons from the planet's underground droid factories for deployment in the Separatist forces. Troop carriers brought battle droids into the Petranaki arena when Mace Windu's Jedi strike team arrived to rescue Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Senator Padmé Amidala.
Troop carriers were later used in the Battle of Kashyyyk. After the Clone Wars ended, the few troop carriers that survived the conflict were converted into civilian cargo sleds.
Behind the scenesEdit
Originally created for the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, the Platoon Attack Craft was first identified in the sixteenth issue of The Official Star Wars Fact File, a name that originated in the revised rough draft of The Phantom Menace.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 22"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Episode I Incredible Cross-Sections (as battle droid troop carrier and Trade Federation troop carrier)
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- The Art of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Episode I (as troop carrier)
- Secrets of Naboo (as troop carrier)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (Set: 7126 Battle Droid Carrier)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 8 (BAT1-2, Battle Droids) (as troop carrier)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 16 (MTT1-2, Trade Federation Multi-Troop Transport) (First identified as Platoon Attack Craft)
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones (as droid carrier)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 22 (LAN1-2, Trade Federation C-9979 Landing Ship)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 61 (TRA5-6, Trade Federation Droid Control Ship)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 65 (BAT3-6, Trade Federation Battle Droid)
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels (as troop carrier)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (as droid carrier and troop carrier)
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels (as MTT Troop Carrier)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Set: 7654 Droids Battle Pack)
- Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections (as battle droid troop carrier and Trade Federation troop carrier)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I ("C-9979 landing ship") (as troop carrier)
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide (as Trade Federation troop carrier)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (Set: 7929 The Battle of Naboo)
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 65
- (as troop carrier)
- (as troop carrier)
- The Essential Guide to Warfare (as troop carrier)
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles (as battle droid troop carrier and Trade Federation troop carrier)
- (as troop transport)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 38 (LAN1–2, Trade Federation landing ship)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 41 (BAT5-8, Battle droid tactics)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 48 (MTT1–2, MTT)
Notes and referencesEdit