- "I guess I was wrong. There was no danger at all."
- ―Gregar Typho, to Padmé Amidala, immediately preceding the first attempt on the latter's life
Prior to the Clone Wars, at the height of the Separatist Crisis; the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Trade Federation plotted to assassinate Senator Padmé Amidala of Naboo. Amidala, a leading opponent of the Military Creation Act that proposed the creation of an army for the Galactic Republic, was targeted when she arrived on Coruscant for a vote on the measure as part of Darth Sidious' plot to ensure the passing of the legislation. The attempt was carried out by Zam Wesell, a partner of bounty hunter Jango Fett who himself following orders from Count Dooku, leader of the Confederacy of Independent Systems so that it could gain the backing of Nute Gunray and the Trade Federation under the condition that Amidala was killed. The attempt failed, though it claimed the life of some of Amidala's associates. As a result of the attempt, the Jedi High Council assigned Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi and his Padawan, Anakin Skywalker, to protect the senator.
Wesell attempted another assassination later that evening, but it was foiled by the Jedi, who chased Wesell on Coruscant before she was killed by Fett; the bounty hunter killed her to prevent her from revealing their secrets. This set in motion an investigation that led Kenobi to Kamino, where he discovered a clone army that had been secretly created for the Republic. This army became the Grand Army of the Republic and was used during the Battle of Geonosis, which sparked the Clone Wars.
The first attemptEdit
- "Milady, I'm so sorry. I've failed you, Senator…"
- ―Cordé and Padmé, before the former's death
The assassination did not claim the life of Senator Amidala thanks to the foresight of Captain Gregar Typho, Amidala's head of security. He had Amidala replaced by her handmaiden Cordé, while Amidala flew in a N-1 starfighter. A massive explosion engineered by Wesell took the lives of Cordé and six members of the Royal Naboo Security Forces.
In the wake of the attack, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine requested that the Jedi High Council place Senator Amidala under the protection of Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. Kenobi and his Padawan Anakin Skywalker were assigned for the task. Kenobi and Skywalker's protection prevented a second assassination attempt from succeeding.
The second attackEdit
Following the first failed attempt, Wesell was sent by Fett to end the life of Amidala a second time. Fett, thinking that a more subtle attempt would be more desirable, gave Wesell two kouhuns, a type of arthropod with a venom capable of easily killing adult Humans. Wesell placed the kouhuns in her ASN courier droid and sent it to place the kouhuns in Amidala's bedroom.
Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, from outside the bedroom, sensed the danger, however, and Skywalker burst into the room and killed the kouhuns. The two Jedi then pursued Wesell by airspeeder through the Coruscant skylanes. After catching up with the bounty hunter and literally disarming her, the two took Wesell outside, where Fett was forced to kill her with a toxic saberdart, just as she was about to reveal her employer's identity to the Jedi.
- "I have tracked the bounty hunter, Jango Fett, to the droid foundries on Geonosis. The Trade Federation is to take delivery of a droid army here and it is clear that Viceroy Gunray is behind the assassination attempts on Senator Amidala."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi
The saberdart proved to be Jango Fett's undoing; Kenobi brought the dart to his friend Dexter Jettster, whose knowledge of the dart's origins led Kenobi to the mysterious planet of Kamino. On Kamino, Obi-Wan discovered Fett and pursued him to the planet Geonosis, where Obi-Wan discovered that the Confederacy of Independent Systems was constructing an enormous droid army. Fett was later killed on Geonosis by Mace Windu just prior to the Clone Wars.
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Attack of the Clones Golden Book
- Attack of the Clones Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ The novel Tarkin establishes that the Antar 4 schism began before the Battle of Geonosis and occurred during the events of Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, the film in which the subject of this article takes place.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas