- "They have podracing on Malastare. Very fast, very dangerous."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn
Podracers were small, one-man repulsorcraft, composed of an anti-gravity pod propelled by one or more pairs of large turbine engines. The engines were not physically connected to each other, being linked instead by power couplings consisting of plasma discharges. The engines were connected to the pods themselves by means of long, Steelton cables.
- "Hey, I don't care what universe you're from. That's gotta hurt!"
- ―Fodesinbeed Annodue
Besides housing the racer's pilot, each pod contained a repulsorlift engine that kept the craft at a specific, low-level altitude. The turbine engines were incredibly powerful, and were connected by an energy binder that kept them from flying apart. Podracing was popularized in the Outer Rim Territories during the last decades of the Galactic Republic. Its underground nature, great excitement, and almost gladiatorial propensity for carnage held immense appeal to all manner of folk living on the fringes of society.
Because of the reflexes needed to control the pod as it raced around the course at breakneck speeds, as well as the dexterity needed to control the pod racer, all pod racers (apart from Anakin Skywalker) were nonhumans. Inhuman physical attributes, as well as extra pairs of hands, came in handy when trying to control the pod at its top speed of around 900 km/h.
Podracing traced its roots back to the days of animal-drawn carts, from which evolved races with hanno speeders. The events were held by Boonta the Hutt himself after his victory over the Parliament of Moralan and continued after his death. Ultimately, this sport's development kept pace with that of galactic technology to evolve into Podracing. The concept of modern day podracing was started on Malastare by alien racer Gustab Wenbus. Wenbus had entered himself in a race with a super-fast prototype pod designed by a mechanic named Phoebos.
One of the most famous podraces was the Boonta Eve Classic, held on Tatooine in 32 BBY. The spectacular race was especially notable for being won by a Human, nine-year-old Anakin Skywalker. This marked the first time a Human had ever won a podrace. Other popular races at the time included the Vinta Harvest Classic on Malastare, the Ando Overland on Ando Prime and the Aleen Classic.
Although technically illegal (often controlled by the Hutts) podracing flourished during the rule of the Galactic Republic, particularly among planets in the Outer Rim and on worlds such as Malastare and Ando Prime. The sport was also watched by citizens from the Core Worlds; large viewscreens in seedy establishments such as the Outlander Club on Coruscant relayed podraces from all over the galaxy. Podracing's popularity reached an all-time high following Skywalker's win, but as the political situation in the Republic deteriorated, so did the appeal of podracing.
Many of the sport's generally-accepted criminal activities were exposed, and some of the most famous racers were arrested for a variety of crimes. Podracing was soon outlawed in the Core. Shortly before the outbreak of the Clone Wars, it was reported that attendance had dropped more than fifty percent from the era of the Battle of Naboo, although betting transactions remained at an all-time high. Podracing soon gave way to swoop racing and other forms of extreme sports.
With the Declaration of a New Order and the rise of the Galactic Empire, podracing became outlawed across the galaxy, and under the Empire's far more stringent standards of law enforcement, the sport fell out of popularity altogether, though the Vapor Room, a bar on Cloud City on Bespin, was still showing holoscreens of podraces in 2 BBY. By 30 ABY, it was noted that the sport had been making a comeback in some systems.
Despite the ban, podracing, especially the Boonta Eve Classic, still was practiced on Tatooine. During one race between 2 BBY and 0 BBY, a Star Tours-owned StarSpeeder 1000 inadvertently got into the race due to having recently escaped from being caught by the Empire at the Star Tours space station for having a Rebel spy onboard. It then briefly rode alongside the racers before flying back out of the planet's atmosphere and making contact with the Rebel high command for their next destination.
- "I'm the only Human who can do it."
- ―Anakin Skywalker
Boonta Eve contendersEdit
- Aldar Beedo
- Dud Bolt
- Ebe Endocott
- Mars Guo
- Clegg Holdfast
- Neva Kee
- Kam Nale (alias Elan Mak)
- Ody Mandrell
- Teemto Pagalies
- Ben Quadinaros
- Boles Roor
- Ark "Bumpy" Roose
- Wan Sandage
- Anakin Skywalker
- Ratts Tyerell
- Bekk Tunit
- Brant Rumble
- Bozzie Baranta
- Toy Dampner
- "Bullseye" Navior
- Slide Paramita
- Fud Sang
- Cy Yunga
- Jinn Reeso
- Kraid Nemmeso
- Occo Ninebar
- Scorch Zanales
- Knire Dark
- Tzidik Wrantojo
- Shrivel Braittrand
- Wan Sandage Jr.
- Dankko Verrimuch
- By't Distombe
- Dep Koorlilar
- Wasser Barer
- Ahsoka Tano
- Kidd Kareen
- Skall Delos
- LobwuWa Loba
- Luke Skywalker
- Gilag Pitaaani
- Maxo Vista
- Will Neluenf
- Ben Neluenf
- Larbo Nelik
- Turbo McMerrit
- Habba Kee
- Mab Kador
- Kerd K'Kerren
- Eelo Begraas
- Zip Beeline
List of Podracing tracks and racesEdit
- Amateur Podracing Circuit
- Semipro Podracing Circuit
- Galactic Podracing Circuit
- Invitational Podracing Circuit
- Galactic Trials
- Podracing Open
- Hutt Championships
- Outer Rim Regionals (Kinect Star Wars Podracing)
- | Tatooine
- | Felucia
- | Utapau
- Galactic Podracing Circuit
- | Bespin
- | Coruscant
- Boonta Eve Classic|Tatooine
- TransGal circuit
- Swo-O'Rim racing circuit
- Tasjon swoop race
- Mos Espa Raceway on Tatooine
- Togatto Speedway on Esseles
- Doolis Podrace Arena on Caprioril
- Vengeance, Executioner, Malevolent, Desolation Alley and The Gauntlet on Oovo IV
- Phoebos Memorial Run, Vinta Harvest Classic, and Malastare 100 on Malastare
- Pouffra Circuit
- Aleen Classic on Aleen
- Great Dordon Caves on Euceron
- Mon Gazza Speedway on Mon Gazza
- Ceyan Range Raceway on Hoth
- Lianorm Raceway, based in the Lianorm Swamp on Naboo
- Tracks on Troiken, Aquilaris, Ord Biniir, Ord Ibanna, Baroonda, Gamorr, Ando Prime, Ryloth, Dac, Zygerria, Citadel Station, Manaan, Tatooine, Taris and Sullust.
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (reference book)
- Star Wars: Episode I toy line
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace: The Official Souvenir Magazine
- Star Wars: Power of the Jedi
- "In the Star Wars Universe"—Star Wars Insider 47
- Alien Anthology
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones: The Illustrated Companion
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- Tatooine Grudge Match"—Star Wars Gamer 1 "
- Snow Job"—Star Wars Gamer 2 "
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 106
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- Totally 20: The Phantom Menace
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Ben Quadinaros)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Boles Roor)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Clegg Holdfast)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Dud Bolt)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Mars Guo)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Pit Droid)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Fode and Beed)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Watto (★★★))
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Sebulba (★★★★))
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Tatooine Limited (Card: Start Your Engines!)
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Snow Job"—Star Wars Gamer 2 "
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 HoloNet News Vol. 531 49 (content now unavailable; backup links 1 2 on Archive.org) —
- ↑ Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 7.00 7.01 7.02 7.03 7.04 7.05 7.06 7.07 7.08 7.09 7.10 7.11 7.12 7.13 7.14 7.15 7.16 7.17 7.18 7.19 7.20 7.21 7.22 7.23 7.24 7.25 7.26 7.27 7.28 7.29 7.30 7.31 7.32 7.33 7.34 7.35 Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
- ↑ 8.00 8.01 8.02 8.03 8.04 8.05 8.06 8.07 8.08 8.09 8.10 8.11 8.12 8.13 8.14 8.15 8.16 8.17 8.18 8.19 8.20 8.21 8.22 8.23 Star Wars: Racer Revenge
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 Star Wars: Republic: Emissaries to Malastare
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Boba Fett: Hunted
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Rebel Force: Target
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 12.4 HoloNet News Vol. 531 54 (content now unavailable; backup links 1 2 on Archive.org) —
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Racer Rush