- "They have podracing on Malastare. Very fast, very dangerous."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn
Podracing was a dangerous racing sport on planets such as Malastare, Theron, Cantonica, and Tatooine. Racers could perform multiple laps on a particular race track, moving at dangerous and, at times, deadly speeds. The races were performed using craft known as Podracers or pods, which were small, one-man craft propelled by large engines. Races could then be projected in entertainment establishments throughout the galaxy.
Podracing was a sport generally partaken in by aliens. Due to that fact, the slave Anakin Skywalker believed himself to be the only human capable of podracing. In 32 BBY, he was the only member of the species who participated in those races around the Mos Espa region. By the time of the skirmish on Hradreek, rumors of humans winning were heard of in the Outer Rim systems.
During the Trade Federation invasion of Naboo, Anakin Skywalker won the Boonta Eve Classic on Tatooine, securing his freedom from a life of slavery. Betting on the races was a popular pastime with many of the watchers on Tatooine and it was through Qui-Gon Jinn's bet with Watto that Skywalker would win the race that Skywalker was freed.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Lost Treasure of Cloud City"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Race on Tatooine"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Journey Through Space
- Star Wars: Star Pilot
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Darth Vader: Sith Lord
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Way of the Force
- Star Wars: Droidography